PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Lubes for idiots

glenkans
05-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Guys, I don't want to buy any more lube and thought it would be great to make my own.I don't have a phd or one of those degree things buy I can spell catttt.I have access to parifin and bees wax and trans. fluid and all the things guys have access to. Maybe a little astro-glide once in a while.I want to pour this in a Lyman450 and sometimes pan lube.Please help me out if you can.Thanks ,Glen

JSnover
05-15-2009, 12:07 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29683&highlight=lube+recipes

Everything you could ever want to know!

zxcvbob
05-15-2009, 12:10 PM
I tried using a mix of paraffin candle wax and EP chassis grease. It lubed OK, but wasn't sticky enough to stay on the boolits and it just made a mess. It smelled pretty bad; that was one good thing about it at least.

Been thinking about tryin' terlit wax with a little STP oil treatment mixed it. That ought to be sticky enough, the problem might be if it melts out in hot weather.

One recipe I found that looks interestin' is just beeswax cut about 3:1 with chicken fat. (How could that not be good?)

montana_charlie
05-15-2009, 12:15 PM
One recipe I found that looks interestin' is just beeswax cut about 3:1 with chicken fat. (How could that not be good?)
That should be one killer lube. If the hydraulic shock doesn't put the aminal down, it will die of salmonella poisoning.
CM

mtgrs737
05-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Beeswax and bullplate sprue plate lube = Speed Green! All the lube you could ask for.

Maven
05-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Also, You may want to contact Ralph Schneider of the CBA:

Homemade Bullet Lube... lubricants than you thought possible. (Ivory soap as a lubricant ingredient?) Send $4 to: Ralph Schneider S 15200 County Road FF Eleva, WI 54738-9221 ...
www.castbullet.com/makeit/lube.htm

Hope this helps!

drinks
05-15-2009, 01:25 PM
A friend who shoots everything has been using a 50/50 mix of bees wax and peanut oil, with the addition of a bit of ivory bar soap it works fine for everything, including black powder.
Most lubes containing petroleum products make a real mess with black powder
I have pan lubed gas check .35 bullets in a .35 Whalen and shot them at 2400fps with no leading with that lube.
It is clean, smells good and if you leave the ivory soap out, could be used as food in an emergency certainly something most lubes cannot claim
However, Lar's high speed red is VERY inexpensive and is as good as anything I have tried.

markinalpine
05-15-2009, 01:52 PM
3 parts, by weight, Beeswax
1 part carnauba wax
2 tablespoons, per 1 Lb. of the above waxes, Mink Oil Leather Waterproofer.

I melted the waxes in a heavy saucepan in a 200 degree oven, and stirred in the Mink Oil after the waxes had melted. I've used it mainly to swirl lube sized boolits by dropping them into the saucepan of melted lube. I retrieve a few at a time with a slotted spoon and line them up on wax paper on a cookie sheet, and set them into the 200 degree oven for about a half hour after the cookie sheet is full. I remove the cookie sheet(s) from the oven and place them in front of a fan until they have cooled down.

I've used booits lubed this way in my M1911A1 with good results, and NO leading. :Fire:
It sticks very well.

The mink oil waterproofer I used was made by the Original Mink Oil Waterproofing Company of Portland, OR, but I don't know if they are still in business. I did find a business listing of Oregon companies, but couldn't get anybody to answer the phone number listed for them. I couldn't find an internet listing for them. When I use up the stuff I have now, I'm going to use a product that seems similar made by Redwing.

Mark :coffee:

Red River Rick
05-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Equal parts of: Beeswax, Crisco Shortening & Peanut oil. Very similiar to SPG, works great for Holy Black.

RRR

jdgabbard
05-15-2009, 02:16 PM
I use the Old NRA Lube. 1 Part Paraffin, 1 Part Beeswax, and .75 Part Vaseline. Worked perfect for up to Magnum Handgun Loads in the 1400 range with no leading. Haven't had a problem with head melting it either.

fredj338
05-15-2009, 05:43 PM
I just played w/ homemade lube last weekend. I used 1part BW (2oz), 1part paraffin(2oz) & 1/2 part toilet wax(1oz) w/ 1TBS LLA. It shoots just as well as Lar's BAC & needs just a bit of heat to flow in my Star. Use less paraffin w/o heater.

Tom Herman
05-15-2009, 05:53 PM
2 parts Paraffin Wax
2 parts Tallow (Sheep Tallow from Dixie Gun Works)
1 part Beeswax

Looks, feels, works, and smells like SPG. Works well for up to 950 FPS (not tried anything faster than that). Good for cool to warm climates, may melt out if it gets to hot (140 degrees F melting point).

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

arcticbreeze
05-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Beeswax and bullplate sprue plate lube = Speed Green! All the lube you could ask for.

+1

I have found this to be the easiest and works good to about 1900-2000 fps. It might work at more fps but i have not tried. It almost mixes itself. I do add some pure carnuaba wax to harden it a little and make my bore shiny.

runfiverun
05-15-2009, 10:06 PM
lubes with parafin need some type of plastisizer. [like the vaseline]