PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 35 Remington load?

jonk
05-15-2009, 11:05 AM
I've got a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. Problem is, while I get some decent groups with both 158 gr and 200 gr bullets, both cast and jacketed, it shoots rather depressingly low. I've tried Red Dot, 4759, BLC2, 4895, 4198, 3031, and XMP 7\5744. Some loads, even with the sights on their HIGHEST setting, shoot a good foot low; others a few inches- at 50 yards.

I don't see a practical way to lower the front sight height or raise the rear past where it is. any suggestions?

Throwback
05-15-2009, 02:31 PM
One thing to try is to use a receiver sight or install a lower front sight or do both.

crowbeaner
05-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Williams makes replacement front sight beads that fit the dovetail on just about anything; around $10. Measure the heigth of the one you have and go shorter. If you're shooting 5 inches low at 50, you want the shortest one you can find. You might want to try some IMR 4064 with the 200 grainer; it works well in my old 336.

jlchucker
06-07-2009, 09:57 AM
What Throwback and Crowbeaner both said. I've a got a few Marlin Leverguns, and most of them required replacing the front sight at one point or another. Except for a 35 Remmie that carries a scope, the rest have receiver sights. These days the Williams FP's seem to be made better than the newer Lymans, but both work just fine.

arcticbreeze
06-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Try Skinner sights http://www.skinnersights.com/index.html . Scroll about 2/3 down the page, he makes front sights any height you want. He is very inexpensive (Price: $11 which includes shipping and handling)He also has the formula for how to calculate the needed height.

This is from his site:

Front Sight Height Calculator

When you are unable to adjust the rear sight to work for your rifle because the rifle shoots high you will need a taller front sight. To eliminate the guesswork, you can calculate the additional height needed using the procedure below.

1. Shoot your rifle at a known range (say 50 yards). Note the distance you need the impact to change (say 6 inches lower).

2. Measure the sight radius of your rifle (22 inches on most Marlins).

3. The change needed is calculated by changing all measurements to inches, then multiply the sight radius by the desired change in impact and divide that product by the range in inches.

4. The result is the additional height needed for the front sight. To get the height of the new front sight add the current height and the number from (3).

Example:

I need to shoot 6 inches lower at 50 yards with my 1894, 44 Mag. With a 22 inch sight radius. My current front sight is .350” tall from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight.

50 yards = 50X36=1800 inches

Desired height change is = 22 (sight radius)X6 (desired change)/1800(range)=.073 inches. My new front sight needs to be .350+.073 or .423 inches tall.