PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs 7mm sil

JSH
05-15-2009, 08:05 AM
This is about the first issue I have had that I can't really figure out what to do.
On this particular bullet from WW air cooled, I am buldging the nose so much they are over bore size, .288-290, roughly when lubing and sizing. I am using gator checks and they are some what larger at the rim than the lyman or hornady. The drop at 285+>286, sizing to 285. Luckily I only sized lubed about 100, problem being is I have a fair size pile of them cast up. A lee push through has crossed my mind, then lube and size as normal.
Oh, before i forget to mention, my nose punch is not exactly correct. Do you folks think that the correct one would solve this?
I know a lot of you get by with very few top punches and i try to. This long slender one may need a different plan of attack. I did try to make a nose punch fir with some glue, two differnt times. It is off center and shaves one side or the other. I cause myselff enough issues with out making another.
Thanks in advance, Jeff

high standard 40
05-15-2009, 08:33 AM
I have cast that bullet some and have not experienced the problem you're having. I do have the correct top puch though. When I purchased the mold, I also bought the punch. I don't remember the part number but RCBS does make a top punch just for this bullet. It's a small investment. May solve your issue.

GabbyM
05-15-2009, 09:01 AM
For a 7mm you'll want to heat treat those boolits to a harder BHN than AC WW. Those long torpedoes will bend upon sizing if to soft also. Put them on a cookie sheet in a 425 degree oven for twenty minutes then dump them in a pan of water. I like a splash of Murphy's Oil Soap in the water to ward off oxidation. But that mostly reveals what a fanatic I am.

For the nose punch. Life will be simpler if you buy the right one. Even then their's an even chance you'll need to use some JB Weld to form it up to your bullet nose correctly.

If your gas check shank is large on this bullet. 6.5mm and .270 gas checks are both larger than 7mm gas checks. I know this makes no sense but that's the way it is. 6.5mm = .254”, .270 = .255”, 7mm = .253”. Theirs a chart at LASC at this page link. http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_4-2_GasChecks.htm
Note the 6.5mm is made of .010” material while the .270 and 7mm are .017” material. The catch here is Hornady is out of production on .270 checks. But if the standard 7mm is tight a 270 check should drop right on. Your shank should measure .250” on the 7mm.

JSH
05-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Thansk gents. Another local caster I spoke to last night also warned me about them being soft and bending.
By chance, do any of you have a cross referwence from lyman to RCBS. Only reason i ask is one fellow had a bunch of extra lyman punches and said i could have one if it would help me out.
Thanks again. I think i will heat treat a batch and try that out. I have some 6.5 checks and know where there are a sizeable lot of 270's at.
Jeff

WHITETAIL
05-17-2009, 07:31 AM
JSH, +1 on being too soft for the job.
Water quench your boolets and see.:holysheep

SwedeNelson
05-17-2009, 10:01 AM
This is about the third post like this I have seen in the last five months.
I'm starting to think this is more of a problem than I thought.
My fix was to build a push through sizer that will lube too.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=43681
Granted you need the tools to do it but it does work.
It too has some short comings but I dont get bent bullets.

Swede Nelson

runfiverun
05-17-2009, 07:21 PM
my star don't bend the noses at all.
water drop those silh's you will like them better,let em sit for about 3 weeks i have been able to use old saeco push on g/c's [long length ones] and push them on by the nose by w dropping and waiting.
i push them on in a vise.

ihmsakiwi
05-19-2009, 04:38 AM
Hi JSH,

I shoot both the RCBS and the Saeco 145 7MM boolits and water drop with no bending. I too dont use the correct top punch. My mate does bend a good few of his Saeco 145's with his heavy handed way he pushes them through his lube sizer. I also nose size the RCBS ones with a .277 lube die so they fit my XP's tight throat all without deforming. Water quenching should fix your problem.