PDA

View Full Version : how many fo you

bisley45
03-03-2006, 08:08 AM
sell your cast boolits I just started casting about 3 weeks now and I have guys wanting to buy the just wondering would be a good way to fund my habit

Wayne Smith
03-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Legally you need your FFL06, license to make ammunition. It's another $30 per 3 years, just like the C&R, but involves a site visit by an ATF agent as well. When I explained that I only cast and would sell cast bullets only and that I applied for the license because my reading of the law indicated that it needed it just to sell them it became a friendly visit.

I won't lie, it helped that the ATF agent was young and female and qualified as eye candy. If she had been a fat bald grouchy guy looking for problems I would probably be typing a completely different story! Anyway, she confirmed that, technically, I was right, I needed the license to sell bullets or any part of ammunition. I think the fact that I was trying to be law abiding helped, but I'm not sure.

David R
03-03-2006, 06:15 PM
ONLY MY OPINION HERE

Once you start selling boolits, its no longer a hobby, but a stinkin job. I already have a job. I only pour em for fun.

David

bisley45
03-03-2006, 10:27 PM
ONLY MY OPINION HERE

Once you start selling boolits, its no longer a hobby, but a stinkin job. I already have a job. I only pour em for fun.

David

you got a point there ai dount need another job

Johnch
03-03-2006, 11:34 PM
I use my cast mainly for barder , with freinds .
I get what I want and they get my bullets .
But I just sold my first batch thru a gun shop as a favor to the owner .
I don't plan on making a habit of it

Johnch

Buckshot
03-04-2006, 05:47 AM
...............I like casting. It's an enjoyable pastime. But I will be brutally honest that a 'fun pastime', as others have mentioned would become tedious WORK, if casting for others. Part of that would be that I would have to inspect every stinking one of'em. I do that for ME, but it's usually 20, 40, or 60 of'em and not 500 or a 1000.

If someone orders a box of 1000 from a company (with machine casting proceedures) and they get a couple bad ones, what are they going to do? Send'em back for a refund? If YOU do it they'll tell YOU about it. People will let some company slide where they won't an individual. Especially since you're ral handy :-)

I would cast some for an aqaintance just wanting to try some, or similar circumstances. I would not do it as a business. The profit margin is too tight, along with guarenteeing materials specs from one batch to another.

It'd really hurt to cast, lube-size and box a thousand boolits and then have to turn around and hand it to someone else. Even if they handed me money in return.

.................Buckshot

45nut
03-04-2006, 11:01 AM
It'd really hurt to cast, lube-size and box a thousand boolits and then have to turn around and hand it to someone else. Even if they handed me money in return.

.................Buckshot
My feelings are the same,it almost hurts to send the best of them down a barrel. :lovebooli

Underclocked
03-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Buckshot, maybe it wouldn't hurt so much if you sold them as Hydra-Cons. ;) About $1+ each! :shock:

http://www.parkerproductionsinc.com/agora/agora.cgi?product=Bore_Size&ppinc=1a

Frank46
03-05-2006, 03:24 AM
Rick, totally agree with you. for me this is a fun hobby and for my own shooting pleasure. I don't mind giving some away or letting friends try my loads. But like you said when you do it for money well it kinda takes the fun out of it. But if someone can make a buck doing this and enjoys it then more power to him. Sometimes when scrounging wheel weights they ask if I'm making weights for scuba divers. I tell them nope, i'm casting my own bullets. Now that gets some stares. So I usually explain how its done. Some say why don't you use store bought ammo. My reply is that its a hobby like stamps, coins, trains ect. Only the products of my labors usually travel faster than any stamp or coin ever will. Frank

David R
03-05-2006, 09:01 AM
I will give away cast boolits to get others hooked on the hobby. That is about all.

David

Dale53
03-05-2006, 09:44 AM
Once upon a time, far, far, away :razz: I made and sold pistol bullets commercially. I made an excellent product, charged a fair price for it and all were happy. I had more customers than I had bullets. However, it is HARD work and I never intended that it get any bigger than I could control. After a couple of years, I decided to not do it anymore. I still have guys ask me if I would ever reconsider (answer is NOPE!).

You can make wages but you'll never get rich. However, this is not to discourage anyone from trying it on for size. My two sons, one summer while going to college, could not find any local work (recession) so they cast bullets commercially. It worked out fine but neither was eager to try it again (sitting in a garage casting bullets when it is 95 degrees is NOT a picnic). However, it was extremely instructive and they learned a great deal from the experience.

Dale53

NVcurmudgeon
03-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Are you kidding? Casting boolits and turning out a product that satisfies me would have me working for $0.17 per hour. And then there's the liability question. Nowadays, when nearly everyone is looking for an excuse to cut a fat hog by suing an innocent bumbler, I'm not taking that chance. I'll continue to make the best boolits I can for my own use, and giving other members of the board sample castings from my moulds. I'm not about to turn my hobby into drudgery. I love my dog, but I sure don't want a kennel of a hundred of them!

45nut
03-05-2006, 02:09 PM
I love my dog, but I sure don't want a kennel of a hundred of them!
Excellent analogy Bill,I couldn't agree more. :lovebooli