PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your boolits?

mikenbarb
05-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Im wondering how you guys store your extra boolits and what type of containers work best for you besides the metallic ones with gunpowder.LOL. I use the small clear rubbermaid containers and they work pretty good but gunk up after a while. When they get cruddy I just toss them out and buy another 5 pack for $1.99 at Wally World.
:drinks:

sargenv
05-15-2009, 12:35 AM
I use the stackable boxes that at one time housed commercially cast bullets. I have a lot of boxes of them.. they hold about 500-600 so I'm good to go that way.. when they run out, I'll likely use some form of plastic bin.

stubshaft
05-15-2009, 12:49 AM
I put them in "baggies' and stoe them in ammo cans.

Buckshot
05-15-2009, 01:37 AM
.............I too mostly use the Glad type plastic food storage containers. Cheap, seal tight, you can easily write on'em with a felt tip, and when empty they nest. The only problem I can see is that they don't (or won't) stack over 2 high. And I said 'Mostly' as I still also use a lot of coffee cans.

..............Buckshot

mike in co
05-15-2009, 01:43 AM
i store them in small brass cylinders with a dose of gunpowder and fill the other end with something called a primer.

lol

mike in co

grumman581
05-15-2009, 01:50 AM
Hurricane Ike supplied me with over 300 ft of cedar fencing that is perfect for making small boxes... Figuring each picket is 6 ft long, that's 1800 ft of cedar board... A couple quick cuts with my radial arm miter saw, a bit of glue, and a couple of nails to hold it together while the glue dries and I have a small box for storing bullets, nails, or whatever...

MtJerry
05-15-2009, 04:18 AM
Large Jiff peanut butter jars ... minus the Jiff that is.

DanWalker
05-15-2009, 04:26 AM
I use slim fast containers and folgers plastic coffee cans.

leadeye
05-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Those clear PET jars everything comes in these days instead of glass.

Shiloh
05-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Hurricane Ike supplied me with over 300 ft of cedar fencing that is perfect for making small boxes... Figuring each picket is 6 ft long, that's 1800 ft of cedar board... A couple quick cuts with my radial arm miter saw, a bit of glue, and a couple of nails to hold it together while the glue dries and I have a small box for storing bullets, nails, or whatever...

Makes 'em smell nice too.

Shiloh

Shiloh
05-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Whatever containers are around. Mostly stewed tomato and refried bean cans. I'm not proud though. Blue Midway component boxes, coffee cans, larger tuna cans. Large commercial Hoisan Sauce cans from the Chinese restaraunt.

Shiloh

winelover
05-15-2009, 10:27 AM
I store my lubed and sized handgun boolits in those round plactic containers that 3M electrical tape comes in. Depending on caliber, they hold anywhere from 45 to 70 bullets, standing upright. Then 6 of those fit nicely in 1# metal coffee cans. I use a grease pencil to record data on the lids of both the tape containers and the coffee cans. It helps to know an Electrician!

andremajic
05-15-2009, 06:15 PM
I was lucky enough to know someone who worked at a plastics manufacturing company. She gave me a bunch of freebies that her company manufactured. Mainly, clear acrylic/polycarbonate containers. I store all my brass and bullets in those.

lathesmith
05-15-2009, 06:26 PM
I guess I'm an old skinflint, I rinse out margarine and baked bean tubs and put 'em in these. I keep them out of sight in the garage though, so I don't get hungry while working! Also, I use cardboard boxes of various sizes lined with plastic bags. I keep very few lubed bullets around, as they get nasty after awhile. That's where the Star comes in--I can lube up a batch of a few hundred bullets, just before loading, in a jiffy. Unlubed bullets stored in relatively sealed containers stay nice and clean and shiney almost indefinitely.
lathesmith

runnin lead
05-15-2009, 07:49 PM
I store my 45-70 & 45-90 target bulletsin 44 mag sliptop plastic boxes,my 7mm & 30 cal
in those plastic divided fishing lure type boxes after sorting by weight & my plinking bullets in cookie tins from a second hand store or plastic storage containers,kinda like tupperware or rubbermaid only cheaper

Jim

Sprue
05-15-2009, 07:49 PM
I count them out in quantities of 100, put them in baggies and place the baggies into those old/antiquated metal cans that coffee used to come in if you can relate to that ;)

HeavyMetal
05-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Magerine and butter tubs get the nod for my storage!

Once cast the tops are marked as to caliber and style and lubed or not.

As I need fresh boolits they are removed sized and lubed and then put in an open toped cigar box ready to load, which happens promptly!

This way I don't worry about summer heat melting the lube and making a second mess I need to clean up before I have to re lube and load!

6.5 mike
05-16-2009, 07:30 AM
I store mine in the small rubbermaid boxes that lock down on all 4 sides. They hold about 500 45's, 44's,& don't know how many 38's. Space them with cardboard & go 3 high. Clear sides can see what's inside. Works with 30 cal. boolits also. These go in plastic shoe boxes to stack. Shoe boxes hold 3 of the small ones.
Now, thanks to ya'll, I have to find more space for these. Ain't it great.
BTW I don't lube until I'm ready to load, so this works for me.

JSH
05-16-2009, 08:01 AM
I store my as cast boolits in plastic coffee cans.
Lubed, sized and checked, go into the 50 round ammo box inserts from various calibers. I find this very handy when loading various lots of ammo so I know what I have on hand ready to go. I then store the boolits in a large card file cabinet that I ran across at a sale. Rather than the tall drawers as a standard file cabinet, this one has about three drawers to one. Each drawer can be pulled out of the roller to set on the bench while relaoding then put back when done. The thing is built like a tank and must have close to 6K of boolits ready to go in it.
Moulds and handles are also stored in it.
If any of you run across one of the older well built file cabinets, I suggest you grab it. I find them very hand for storing things in.
BTW, the drawers can be pulled out in order to lighten it up for moving.
Another thing I ran across was an old metal desk with a formica top on it for $5 at a garage sale that was in good shape. It had a file drawer in it. Very hand to story dies in.
jeff

recycledelectrons
05-16-2009, 05:14 PM
I store my raw lead, ingots, and just-cast bullets in miraculous containers.

Let me see if I can describe this miracle of a container while looking at it's label: It says they are Sterilite-brand pitchers, and I get them from Wal-Mart. These are pseudo-clear, rectangualr-base, 1-gallon pitchers with bright (blue, red, green, or yellow) tops. The set includes (6) 12oz glasses that they call tumblers. The complete set costs about $3. The glasses are donated to a local day care, 100 or 200 at a time.

The pitchers are useful because the base is square, which wastes less space when I stack them in home-made boolitshelves (which are like bookshelves, but better.)

The handle makes it easy to pick up even a full container of lead. These are really tough enough for a full gallon of lead.

The pseudo-clear feature lets me see how full they are, even in the dim recesses of a boolitshelf. I use a labal-making machine to label the side to label the type of boolit (e.g., Lee C356-124-2R,) if that mold exists.

Next, I add a scale. I tare my scale with an empty container, then add a few handfuls of boolits. The weight lets me know how many boolits are in there, and I start a scale on the side. If 100 boolits fill 1/4 inch, then I can label the entire (1 foot?) height with a scale. A year later, I can see at a glance how many boolits are left of a particular type. The scale is a bit off due to the sloped sides, but it's usually within 10%.

This is a bleeping miracle compared to the old stack of metal toolboxes under a table, each with dozens of unlabeled cardboard boxes in it.

Andy

Trey45
05-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Cardboard boxes mostly. CrockPot butter tubs, whip cream tubs, coffee cans, you know those ornamental holiday tins? I use those too. MilSurp ammo cans too, but most of mine have loaded cartridges in them. I save the cartons I get in the mail from the various stuff I order. The box my Cast Boolits hat came in now has lubrisized 45acp boolits in it. Go figure.....

turbo1889
05-16-2009, 09:20 PM
I store my raw components: Raw Lead that Needs Smelted, Cleaned & Fluxed Ingots, Cast Bullets Unlubed & Unsized, Cast Bullets Ready To Load (RTL), Range Pickup Brass and Hulls, RTL Brass & Hulls, Powder (still in individual containers), and Primers (still in factory bricks) inside any kind of 5 gallon bucket I can get my hands on with a nice tight lid. I especially like those rectangular laundry detergent buckets.

Loaded rounds are stored in those green plastic ammo boxes with the snap lids they sell at the local gun store, except for my 4.5gr IMR Trail Boss 230gr. Lee-TL-RN 45-ACP cast tactial practice loads. Those I keep in five gallon buckets (make up a lot and go through a lot of those).

Down South
05-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Hmmmm, I thought that I posted to this one a while back. It must have been another thread about the same thing.
I store my boolits in those cheap plastic containers that can be bought at Wally World or the Dollar Store that have the lids that seal. The sealed lids keep dust, bugs and other unwanted contaminates out of the boolits. I bought several packs of three at an Everything’s a Dollar Store a couple months ago for a buck a pack (Not saying that I'm cheap, just looking for deals). I just put a piece of masking tape on the lid with a description of what’s in the container plus what it’s lubed with.

Tippet
05-17-2009, 01:14 AM
I like to carry mine around in my underwear

zxcvbob
05-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Boolits are in peanut butter jars. They are the perfect container for 'em.

Brass is in 3# coffee cans or gallon ziplock bags. Lead ingots in 5 gallon buckets (those are some heavy buckets.) Cases of primers are in a big wooden ammo crate out in the shed. Powder is in original containers all over the place. [smilie=1: (I do transfer powder from 8-pounders into empty 1# containers)

grumman581
05-19-2009, 02:31 PM
I have found that the 2-liter soft drink bottles (made from the PET type plastic) are great for storing a lot of things. I haven't tried them for bullets yet, but they work pretty good for storing brass -- at least in the handgun calibers that I've tried so far. Just cut the top off of one and use it as a funnel for filling the rest of them. Of course, you want to wash them out and dry them really well beforehand. They're probably best for long term storage though since you have to shake the bottle a bit to get them to come out. On the other hand, if you're willing to cut the bottle open with a pair of scissors, they come out VERY easily. I drink enough sodas that I always have a good supply of the bottles around, so cutting them open works for me.

I also use them for storing various kitchen supplies like rice, sugar, corn oil, etc when I buy it in the larger sizes (25-lb bags, 5g jugs, etc)... These things poor out quite easily so you don't need to cut them open...

I suspect they would also be good for storing powder if you buy it in the larger containers and want to split it up into somewhat smaller containers.

JSnover
05-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Mostly coffee cans or plastic bullet boxes. For long-term storage I shoot 'em into a berm.

10mmShooter
06-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I use narrower M240B cans for going to the range one can for each caliber in 10mm, .38 and 44. For brass only I use the larger 800 count 5.56 cans. For long term storage I use the 40mm cans when full of loaded ammo they take two people to move. I like the miltary cans since they all have air tight seals and come in many sizes and can be stacked.

06-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Like Sprue, I put 100 boolits in a baggie, tie it off, put them in metal, 3-pound coffee cans -- the kind that have air-tight lids -- and label as to its contents. Brass is stored in the same manner. One-pound coffee cans are use for items in smaller quantities.

imashooter2
06-09-2009, 08:41 PM
.50 cal cans and 3 gallon buckets for the high volume stuff. Old commercial boxes for the low usage items.

wallenba
06-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Dust them with a little mica powder first and the container won't "gunk-up".

Cherokee
06-12-2009, 11:29 AM
4x6 and 6x6 inch cardbord boxes for lubed and unlubed bullets, like commercial casters use. Have lots of them. Don't like the plastic because the lub will stick to it some time.

dromia
06-13-2009, 01:58 AM
I use the small plastic boxes that you get for business cards, I think they are ideal especially if you are like me that casts for lots of different guns, with lots of different boolits, cast with lots of different alloys, sized to lots of different diameters and lubed with at least 4 different lubes. :confused:

The boxes take near 100 .30 cal boolits, stack well and are easy to label. The depth of the box and its slip over top means they keep things dust free.

You can buy them quiet cheaply or like me get them "free" from office workers that you know.

dk17hmr
06-13-2009, 02:18 AM
Anything that is handy.....My dad and I collect any type of plastic jar we can get with a lid on it for storing bullets and cleaned out 1 gallon ice cream buckets for loaded ammo.

When we go out p-dog shooting we take buckets of ammo, one of our buddies buys those cardboard boxes and boxes up 2-3000 round of 223 before he goes so he knows how many he shoots.....big deal you are there all day blastin with an AR-15 who cares how much ammo you shoot through the barrel, it gets worn out get a new barrel and put it on the rifle.

Lloyd Smale
06-13-2009, 05:27 AM
mostly glad containers and butter containers and I have everyone in the area i know save me coffee cans.

kyle623
06-13-2009, 08:30 PM
my coffee aholic wife makes sure i have a good supply of plastic coffee containers.

jmar254
06-15-2009, 12:08 AM
I like to store mine in the berm of my local gun range

WILCO
06-15-2009, 12:14 AM
I like to store mine in the berm of my local gun range

Yeah, me too! Been keeping my in a baggie lately though.........:roll:

Trader Vic
06-15-2009, 08:22 AM
I store mine in plastic mayo jars, hold about a quart with a wide mouth lid. They are clear & hold a lot, I toss in a note with all the info about the boolits. Works for me.

Green Frog
06-16-2009, 08:42 AM
I keep my rifle bullets in order cast for Bench Rest and Schuetzen use, so as I inspect them off the cooling pad, the go into the little plastic liners that come with commercial pistol ammo. I use .38/.357 or 9 mm liners for my .32-40 bullets and similar, and .45 liners for .40s and .45s. The liners then go back into their carboard sleeves or lately in groups into appropriately sized wooden cigar boxes. I find this works well with both "dry" bullets and with my pre-lubed bullets ready to be taken to the bench. [smilie=2:

I look a little funny rummaging through trash cans at the range for ammo boxes, but that's no worse than some of the places folks scrounge for lead! :redneck:

Froggie

Adk Mike
06-17-2009, 05:34 PM
I use clear Jiff Peanut Butter jars for the as cast. When I size and lupe them I put them in cat food cans. They hold about 80 and the cover keeps the dust out. Mike

Brother_Love
06-18-2009, 10:41 AM
You guys need to make some of these stackable boxes. The work great and keep trash out too. I stack them about 5 high and covber to top one with a piece of cardboard. I keep lubed and "unlubed" boolits in them. Made them from scrap lumber so they are cheap too. malcolm
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/revrun4/bullet_boxes.jpg

kidmma
06-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Wow! Those look great.
I use empty Metamucil containers.

:roll:

fatnhappy
06-18-2009, 03:17 PM
It depend on how many I have cast. Whenever I borrow a mould I typically lay in a good supply and put them in the stackable plastic coffee jugs. Otherwise they go in emptied butt wipe containers. Junior is 8 now so I'm running low. I might need to knock out another kid.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/lhsjfk3t/100_1122.jpg

WILCO
06-18-2009, 04:20 PM
I like to carry mine around in my underwear

T.M.I. Dude..........:veryconfu

fj3fury
06-18-2009, 04:27 PM
I like pint and quart sized sandwich bags.

Mk42gunner
06-19-2009, 03:30 AM
The problem I had with peanut butter jars and plastic coffee cans is they don't stack very well for me. I really like quart and gallon sized steel paint cans. The lids seal and you can write on the bare metal with a sharpie.

With paint coming in plastic containers now, I'm not sure how easy it is to find new steel cans anymore.

I normally store bullets as cast, then size and lube before loading.

Robert

imashooter2
06-19-2009, 06:25 AM
Otherwise they go in emptied butt wipe containers. Junior is 8 now so I'm running low. I might need to knock out another kid.

Plastic shoe boxes from the local China Mart are pretty much the same and ever so much cheaper than another crumb snatcher!

Tom W.
06-19-2009, 03:13 PM
I store my "as cast" bullets in the boxes that my brass comes in. The sized and lubed are in old Speer bullet boxes or whatever I can scrounge, up to and including plastic pencil boxes and plastic sandwich containers.

mold maker
06-19-2009, 05:11 PM
It's according to how big an inventory I need to keep. Some are in ammo cans. others are in the sealed food containers. Most rifle boolits are in utility boxes from Midway.
I always put a vapor chip in with them to keep them as fresh cast.

Suo Gan
06-27-2009, 04:52 AM
I really like to use the plastic mayo jars or peanut butter jars to store bullets or brass. Every old lady for miles around knows I will buy every one of her old gift tins.

PS I have been buying old discarded filing cabinets for the last several years. I must have 30 or so now. I have them arranged in a corner of the barn. When you shut the drawer most of the dust is sealed out. They are real cheap ($5-20)with everything being stored on a computer nowadays. If you get enough of them lined up the top can double for a bench/shelf too. One of these will store a heck of a lot of stuff in an orderly manner.

armyrat1970
06-27-2009, 06:30 AM
I just use zip lock storage bags. Can't get much cheaper than that.

mazo kid
06-27-2009, 04:40 PM
I pretty much use what is at hand, but like the small peanut butter jars and smaller heavy cardboard boxes. Someone on another forum turned me on to the disposable blood collection tube trays, the newer ones now are plastic but there are some that are foam. Just the right size for 45 cal boolits...and they are FREE at the hospital/clinic!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/mazokid/Gunn-Trenk%20bullet/Gunn-Trenkbullet001.jpg
Emery

Southern Son
06-29-2009, 07:30 AM
+1 on the trays that commercial pistol ammo comes in. After the Police have finished a shoot on some of the local ranges the bins are full of .40S&W Golden Eagle boxes. They hold 50 .458-.460 cal projectiles beutifully, then I put another one upside down on the top and tape the two together, sealing it up. Write on the top what is inside with a black marker. When you empty it, WD40 will strip off the black marker (other things will probably do that too, but WD40 is what was next to the bench, and there was no way I was going all the way over to the other side of the room for some metho).

testhop
06-29-2009, 03:25 PM
one thing DONT USE IS THE GAL MILKJUG.
that arebuilt to brake down in land fills. but thay will do the same setting on a shelf after a while .(45s all over the basement)

lifeon2
07-01-2009, 12:04 AM
coffee cans

Greenhorn44
02-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Do Boolits store well coated in liquid alox for long periods of time? I bought 3000 rounds of cast 44mag and would like to Alox them...maybe bury them in my bunker for the revolution.

Greenhorn44
02-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Them sure are sum purty Domeheads

Lead Fred
02-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Dont stockpile them.

Castem, lubem, loadem