PDA

View Full Version : 45 ACP has very large Primer hole ?

REDWUN
05-14-2009, 10:36 PM
yes i have about handful of those 45 ACP with large primer holes strange. out of the few thousand i have, the primer hole is about twice+ the size or more here is a picture does anyone know why?

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7180/45acplargeprimer.jpg

or copy past this link

Hip's Ax
05-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Lead free primers need a 0.100 flash hole. You've probably got some no tox rounds there.

snaggdit
05-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Be sure you don't load cast in those, you will be defeating the purpose!:kidding:

JIMinPHX
05-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Wow, I'm going to have to start inspecting my range pick up brass more carefully.

SciFiJim
05-15-2009, 12:55 AM
How much difference would it make? Are we now going to have to check all of our 45 brass for the size of the flash hole? I thought the lead free primed stuff used a small primer.

shotman
05-15-2009, 01:28 AM
most likely are federal. It dont matter but they will not reload but about 3 times and primer will get loose.. Dont load hot or you may get a burn through

mpmarty
05-15-2009, 01:30 AM
A large pistol primer mikes .210 and those holes are considerably larger than half the diameter of the primer hole so I doubt they are the new leadfree stuff. Could they have been drilled out for shooting wax bullets? That is the recommended procedure for wax bullet loads.

stubshaft
05-15-2009, 02:19 AM
A large pistol primer mikes .210 and those holes are considerably larger than half the diameter of the primer hole so I doubt they are the new leadfree stuff. Could they have been drilled out for shooting wax bullets? That is the recommended procedure for wax bullet loads.

Good call! I remember doing that back in the "day" (when speer sold plastic bullets).:coffee:

Hang Fire
05-15-2009, 02:34 AM
yes i have about handful of those 45 ACP with large primer holes strange. out of the few thousand i have, the primer hole is about twice+ the size or more here is a picture does anyone know why?

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7180/45acplargeprimer.jpg

or copy past this link

Weird, where did your brass come from, someone may have modified them for a specific purpose?

Terrier
05-15-2009, 06:33 AM
I don't think they were modified. I have found the large primer hole on 45 ACP brass over they years when picking up range brass. They all went straight into the recycle bucket because if I am not 100% positive about something I go with the safe decision.
Terrier

Jon
05-15-2009, 09:02 AM
They seem to be ok for low power loads. I've had some mixed in. Unless you have a ton of them, I'd use them for wax loads just to be safe.

mac in mo
05-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Those cases are from what Winchester calls Winclean ammo. I bought a box years ago from somewhere. The literature on the box touts a heavy metal free primer and brass enclosed bullet. The fine print on the box also states that these offer"full reloadability". I have reloaded them several times and there was no noticable difference from standard brass. However, I have kept them separate and in the original box. Mac

markinalpine
05-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Question: Are WinClean cartridges reloadable and why is the flash hole in the shellcase enlarged?
Answer: Regarding the enlarged flash hole of the shellcase loaded in 45 Auto WinClean products (WC451 and WC452): The flash hole in this shellcase was enlarged in order to achieve optimal ignition while utilizing a lead/ heavy metal free primer. Winchester conducted extensive testing prior to the introduction of this product and determined that the larger flash hole will not have an adverse effect on reloads using standard leaded primers. Please remember, Winchester does not offer a component lead/ heavy metal free primer. Other calibers within the WinClean line are manufactured with a standard diameter flash hole. As always, reloaders should utilize published data from a recognized source and work loads up carefully.

http://www.winchester.com/contactus/faq/faqview.aspx?questionid=96&question=&history=0

Mark :coffeecom