PDA

View Full Version : Couple of reloading concerns-HELP from me too PLEASE!

madcaster
05-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Okay,this just involves reloading .38 specials,with RCBS carbide dies.
I have some Winchester #630 powder and I need a medium load charge weight for a load using a 125 grain bullet.
Also,I am having problems getting a crimp applied to the brass-just what am I doing wrong?
Thanks folks,
Jeff

runfiverun
05-14-2009, 07:56 PM
seat your boolit first,then back the seating stem waay out then screw the die down with the seated boolit raised inside it.
you will feel the crimp touch the case lower the case down a bit, screw the die down a tad
[1/8th turn] then raise the case back up, you will feel it crimp.
take it out and look till you get the crimp how you want it.
then put the case back in the die with the crimp set.
and lower the stem till you feel it hit your boolit.
now do your next one and make minor adjustments from there.
make sure these two will chamber in the gun you are gonna use them in if good then load away.
for a lot of my revolver cases i use a seating and separate crimping die.

atr
05-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Jeff ,,
I cant comment on the #630 because I dont use it...
here are my thoughts on the crimp
1. back the die way off,,,the main body of the die
2. seat the boolet to the depth you want the small adjuster portion of the die,,,,not the main body portion. (if you run out of adjuster then you have backed the main body of the die too far off)
3. Now you have the correct boolit seating depth.
4. back the small adjuster all the way out.
5. turn the main portion of the die down onto the cartridge with the seated boolit. When you feel a resistance you have arrived at the point where the crimping function of the die is starting to engage. Turn the die body down maybe a quarter turn and run the cartridge all the way up...you should see that there is a slight crimp starting. To increase the crimp turn the die body down more.
6. set the lock ring on the die body and with the boolit fully seated (and crimped) run the small adjuster down until it meets resistance from the seated boolit.
NOW YOU SHOULD HAVE BOTH THE CORRECT SEATING DEPTH AND THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF CRIMP.
Now you can run the boolits/cases through without changing the setting.

I hope this helps
art

flinchnjerk
05-15-2009, 01:09 AM
Speer # 10 (1980) lists a starting load of 9.7 gr. for 936 fps, top end 11.1 (designated +P) for 1067 fps. CCI 550 magnum primers used. My memory is a tenuous thing on which to rely, but I believe that Winchester discontinued 630 because of its tendency to produce nasty pressure "spikes".

shotman
05-15-2009, 01:36 AM
is the die marked 357 If it is you wont get a crimp.Most are marked 38spl/357 but some older one like herters were for 357 only"one of geo Herters better ideas"