PDA

View Full Version : i may as well won the lottery

autofix4u
05-13-2009, 11:22 PM
ok guys first off sorry for not having pics. long story short a neighbors dad passed away & left him all his "junk" in this was all his relading stuff that he wanted me to look at. 107 50cal cans of it. after looking through 10 cans tonight I brought home 15 boxes of asst j-bullets. 2 sets of hollywood dies 219 zipper & 32 winspecial. 2 hollywood presses 1 rcbs press 1 layman press. layman 311-33 & 311-446 and ideal 311 413 moulds. and also 250 bars of vacalloy bar solder and 550 5lb ingots marked #2 alloy. 120 trays of small primers marked m42-c1 lot #wcc-1-130. did I do ok for a 100 dollar bill. I go back saturday to do more sorting & he wants me to post some stuff for sale

stubshaft
05-13-2009, 11:29 PM
ok guys first off sorry for not having pics. long story short a neighbors dad passed away & left him all his "junk" in this was all his relading stuff that he wanted me to look at. 107 50cal cans of it. after looking through 10 cans tonight I brought home 15 boxes of asst j-bullets. 2 sets of hollywood dies 219 zipper & 32 winspecial. 2 hollywood presses 1 rcbs press 1 layman press. layman 311-33 & 311-446 and ideal 311 413 moulds. and also 250 bars of vacalloy bar solder and 550 5lb ingots marked #2 alloy. 120 trays of small primers marked m42-c1 lot #wcc-1-130. did I do ok for a 100 dollar bill. I go back saturday to do more sorting & he wants me to post some stuff for sale

The word stole it for $100 sounds more like it.:kidding:

captain-03
05-13-2009, 11:37 PM
You should be ashamed ... $100.00 to a neighbor -- must not like him!!

autofix4u
05-13-2009, 11:51 PM
hey I set out what I wanted to take home & asked how much? he said "would a hundred be to much" what would you have done?

Cloudpeak
05-13-2009, 11:59 PM
what would you have done?

Hopefully, something a bit more honorable.

Cloudpeak

snaggdit
05-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Here's what you do. Tell your neighbor you can sell some of the stuff on this site for him. Tell him you will take 20%. Use your portion to keep what you want. Everyone wins and you don't have to feel guilty!

BowHunter252
05-14-2009, 08:29 PM
how did you bring home more than 2500# of lead?

captaint
05-14-2009, 08:44 PM
I think we all need at least one neighbor like yours.. I'm going to have to start knocking on doors in the neighborhood. Great find. Shame about all that bar solder, having to move it and all. Mike

jdgabbard
05-14-2009, 08:54 PM
I can't believe I never find neighbors like that. The closest I have is a neighbor/friend of mine down in atoka that reloads (doesn't cast). And he says he is taking his Dillon to the grave with him. So I guess I'll never see that one.

oldtoolsniper
05-14-2009, 09:07 PM
I would look at it like this. I have about ten thousand dollars worth of traps and five times that much in woodworking tools. My family has no interest in any of it. My best friend does and he would use it as well. If something should happen to me it all goes to him as well as my reloading and casting stuff. I would rather it goes to someone who would use it then to an auctioneer or someone whom is just going to sell it off. Perhaps there is a reason your neighbor is doing what he is doing, you are the only one that knows the answer to that.

Echo
05-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Autofix4U, you did exactly right. He put a price on the goods, and you met his price. No guilt there.

Blammer
05-14-2009, 09:51 PM
hey I set out what I wanted to take home & asked how much? he said "would a hundred be to much" what would you have done?

I'd have broke my arm reachin for my wallet.

mike in co
05-14-2009, 09:53 PM
i think you did ok. no guilt. the stuff obviously has no value to him, he is $100 ahead. go ahead and make him an offer to sell the rest at a commission.

mike in co

Uncle R.
05-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Sell here for commision?
Awww - you guys just want to get some of the candy!
<GRIN>
I think to be fair to your neighbor and to alleviate your guilt you should convince him to sell the rest to ME - I'd probably have gone at least $110 dollars for that first pile of stuff...
:kidding:

autofix4u
05-14-2009, 11:58 PM
thank you all for the encouraging replies. I have spoke with him about selling for comission & so far so good. he has no intrest in any of the stuff. he doesent even own a gun. I was asked only because All my neighbors know me as the odd feller with the cannons up on the hillside. I was too late for most of the primers & all of the powder, he took it to the local firehouse for "disposal". oh by the way 2500 lbs of lead will sure squat an F350. thank god I have a tractor to un load it.

Buckshot
05-15-2009, 01:14 AM
.............Sometimes people who have no interest in something could care less about it, and don't want to be bothered dealing with a bunch of people in trying to sell it. They'd just as soon dump it or simply pass it on. A shooting buddy of mine (Larry) is a reserve cop for the local PD. He was at the station one day when a former city councilman came in. His father had passed away and he'd brought in a bunch of gun stuff.

One of the cops bought it all for $300. All he wanted was the Dan Wesson 41 mag pistol pack. One of those old deals with the revolver frame and cylinder and several different length barrels and shrouds done up in a case. There were 3 home made wooden boxes about 12" long by 8" wide and tall. All 3 were full of boolit moulds. The cop was moaning about 'What was he going to do with that stuff?'

Ole pal Larry piped up and said he knew someone who'd like to have them. I got the 3 boxes and they contained NEI, Saeco, Lyman, RCBS and H&G moulds. All the cop wanted was 100 rnds of 41 mag ammo. So I bought a set of Lee 41 mag dies, 100 cases and bullets and loaded them up. That was my total outlay. I sold the dies and several of the moulds here on the board, which covered my outlay several times over.

.................Buckshot

Bigjohn
05-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Autofix; I reckon half the fellow casters here would say you robbed the man blind; the other half would say you got ripped off badly and you should send it to them to alleviate your embrassment and ALL of them would be saying it with a smile on their green with envy faces, saying "why ain't I the neighbour of this fellow". :mrgreen:

I find, when I strike a deal, if the other party puts a price on something and is happy with that, then the deals done. If you got it for a song, that's your good luck. I would ask if he is sure that is what he wants for it, if he is asking less than what it is valued at.

If the other party says, "Make me an offer." Then I look over what I have set aside, do some mental calculations, subtract at bit because it is not new and give an upper limit and a lower limit to what I think it worth to me. They still have the right to say, No! and often you are quoting more than what they thought it was worth.

Once the price is set, then there is no going back; both parties should be happy; a 'Win/Win' situation.

If the fellow is happy with the hundred you gave him, then don't look back. Deals done. I would also help him move the rest of the gear, for a small fee if you think it is worth it, or just to help him out.

Oh! BTW, I am jealous that he is not my neighbour! :mrgreen: Missed out on some good stuff from the sounds of it.

Good deals come and good deals go; you've just got to be there at the right moment.
And YES! 2500lbs of lead will flatten out the springs, don't ask how I know.

John

Slow Elk 45/70
05-15-2009, 05:11 AM
You really should do the right thing and turn your self in for stealing :kidding:

Lucky man you are, get er done!!:d:drinks:rinks:

EMC45
05-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Great haul!

Crash_Corrigan
05-15-2009, 06:22 AM
All I know is that I keep a list of all my firearms and loading stuff. I have prices on all of it. Low prices. I told me ex about this list, where it is and what it means.

I asked her to make sure a few of my buddies {on the list with phone numbers and address} get first crack at it. Then the remainder is to be listed here for sale to the members and whatever is not sold to given to the site for auction and the site to keep the profits from the auction.

Over the years I have come into many good deals and outright gifts of firearms and assorted goodies donated by widows and spouses and relations of people who had not made any plans for the disposal of their treasures.

A lot of people just want to get rid of this dangerous and explosive stuff and really do not care about what happens to it.

If we remain true to our good character and are helpful and and generous with our time to help new people get into the sport then we will also be rewarded by these donations and bequests along the line.

Just by being known as a retired cop a lady up the street upon the demise of her husband asked me to come over and take charge to dispose of her husbands bedside firearms and ammo. She refused any money and only wanted to be rid of it. She was terrified of guns. I took the guns and disposed of them but I also took the time and trouble to teach her how to shoot and protect herself. She now has a smith .38 revolver and knows how to use it and keeps it closeby.

She told a few of her friends about it and I have now taught over 15 widows to shoot and they have a gun in their house. Some of them also have given me guns to dispose of for which they have no use.

You will reap what you sow and now there are another 16 people who will defend the 2nd amendment and who now belong to the NRA. Those stickers on doors and windows will do a lot to repel burglars.