PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Single Six .22

WickedGoodOutdoors
05-13-2009, 09:11 PM
What type of Ammo works in this gun?

I have tried Remington plain lead .22 shorts, longs, LR & and copper plated LR Vipers, Eley 60 grain plain lead and get flyers all over the place.

Its a second hand gun that looks almost new. I doubt the previous owner put a couple hundred rounds thru it. I have had it a week and only have about 400 round thru it.

Off to find some winchester I guess Federal maybe?

ANy breaking in tips?

joatmon
05-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Probably magnum! The barrels seem sized to the larger round. I would like to try Paco's
tools on some LR ammo for mine or reline the barrel with a smaller rifleing diaimeter liner.
Might try unplated lead rounds.
Aaron

pietro
05-14-2009, 08:23 PM
[Probably magnum!]

Only possible if it's a three-screw Old Model - and the side frame will be marked for the magnum.

If so, someone ditched the mag cylinder of an early two-cylinder convertible, which had accuracy probs due to the wrong-sized bores.

The first convertibles were mag models with LR extra cylinders ILO the later LR models with maggie extra cylinders.
The difference is the when Ruger switched, they also changed to a compromise bore size that works with both types of ammo, IIRC.

If you have a two-pin New Model, then the barrel might need recrowning, and/or the cylinder gap & barrel throat checked & adjusted.

44mag1
05-15-2009, 12:39 AM
Check the throat area for leading. Ive had this happen where the throat would lead up with certain ammo after only 15 20 shots.

jack19512
05-15-2009, 01:42 AM
What type of Ammo works in this gun?

Here is a 6 shot group from my Ruger SS from 15 yards using the 22lr cylinder and Wolf MT ammo. The one flier I am sure was me and not the ammo or revolver. I know most people don't shoot the Wolf MT from their SS but you did ask "What type of Ammo works in this gun?" and this is it for me.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/jack19512/Singlesix15yards.jpg

Hardcast416taylor
05-15-2009, 02:20 AM
My 6 1/2" Single Six Convertable was purchased in `69. I`ve only put maybe 100 .22 mag rounds thru it. It favors Winchester Hi-Velocity .22 H.P. ammo. This is the old style Winchester ammo of the 60`s and 70`s era, not this hyper crapola on the market today. I have hogue grips on it since I have bear paw size hands. Worst mistake I made was sending it back to be safety upgraded. I re-installed my original parts they sent back with it after shooting 50 rounds.:neutral: Robert

6.5 mike
05-15-2009, 03:30 AM
If you have ,or know someone who does, a copy of Beartooth bullets tech book they have a section on firelapping 22's. It makes it sound real easy & like all of them, one brand will shoot better then others. I got a super single six last year in a trade & am still working with it. My books 4 states away rite now so can't check page #.

WickedGoodOutdoors
05-15-2009, 09:31 AM
I took this gun site unseen in a trade and was all excited because it was a .22 mag that I wanted. Unfoutunatllly the .22 mag cylinder did not come with it.

I looked into getting a new .22 mag cylinder for the pistol from Ruger. So I emailed RUGER.

Response:
The cylinder is a factory fitted item and can’t be sold to anyone; it needs to be installed by our technicians at the factory. Cost for cylinder installation: $65.00 for the cylinder, $50.00 labor and $30.00 return shipping. Send your firearm into our Product Service Dept for evaluation. Ship to Sturm, Ruger & Co. 411 Sunapee St. Newport, NH 03773. Put a detailed letter inside with your firearm stating what you need done. Include a daytime phone number, return UPS address, and mailing address.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com (http://www.ruger.com/) or contact us at:

This is a newer Ruger with the Safety hammer block. when your talking 3 screws dou you mean the 3 that hold the trigger assy in on the bottom? The side plates just have 2 Pins

So??? I just measured the space between the .22 Lond Rifle cylinder and the forceing cone and its 3.5 thousands. Maybe too much daylight? Everything appears to be smooth. Maybe Ill dip it in Fluid Film and clean it up spotless.

Tried to get some of the Winchester .22 ammo that was "On Sale" for $24 a brick at Cabelas. They are all sold out. Tried to get some of their Remingtion "On Sale" for $79.00 for 4 bricks with a "free" ammo box. It was all sold out.

I pulled out some 1970's vintage remingtons from the basement that have that wonderful smell to try and they dont shoot well in it. They work Really Great in the Henry. 16 bulls in a 3 inch target out of 17 shots at 50 yards freehand Iron sites standing position. the 17th round cut the ring so we did not count it.

Im lucky if I get 1 bull at 10 yards with the Single six. The Ruger Mark II with the same ammo hits it every time.

kingstrider
05-15-2009, 11:59 PM
I had a newer stainless convertible that wasn't very accurate either. It seemed to work best with Federal bulk ammo though. I wound up selling it later and can't say I miss it all that much.

jh45gun
05-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Good Luck I had a stainless one too and I got it used but it was almost new the previous owner had not had it that long and traded it in on an other gun I should have known better then. This *** was terrible and NO AMMO shot good in it so I traded it off too and took a loss doing it. You may be stuck with an other of Rugers Lemons.

Trey45
05-16-2009, 10:58 AM
I've been considering a Ruger single six, everyone needs at least one 22 revolver, maybe I'll go look at K22's again....

6.5 mike
05-16-2009, 01:04 PM
I've got a 617 s&w thats a sweetheart to shoot. Bought from a young fellow while I was in Va. Got a very lite trigger though. It is on the heavy side, but points & swings real nice.

NHlever
05-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Shoot a group with each one of the chambers separately. If one chamber, or more likely three chambers shoot better than the rest send the gun back to Ruger, and ask them to replace the cylinder, and check the barrel to base pin dimension.

Denver
05-17-2009, 12:12 AM
I had the same problem with an old model single six convertible that I bought new years ago. It shot fine with the magnum loads, but sprayed shots all over when shooting regular 22 rimfire ammo. Ditto with a Colt New Frontier convertible I had a few years later. I even wrote Ruger about it and they replied that indeed the groove diameter of the barrel was larger to accomodate the jacketed magnum rounds. Fast forward to a couple years ago, I picked up another old model (3 screw) convertible because the price was right and much to my delight , it shot 22 RFs great. I just happened to be shooting the bulk pack Remingtons from Wally World at the time. I later tried some Federals, Winchesters and CCIs, none of which shot worth a damn. So out came the micrometer and I measured the Remingtons and others and sure enough the Remmys have a bullet that measures closer to the .224 diameter that the gun likes, while the others measured closer to .222 diameter. You might try the Remmys if you haven't already.
To answer your earlier question, the 3 screw model is the old model before transfer bar etc. and they have 3 frame screws that hold the hammer, trigger, and bolt stop instead of the pins as on the new models.