PDA

View Full Version : Rings around the primer?????

NSP64
05-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Is a dark ring around the primer a low pressure sign? The primer cup is not flat.

powderburnerr
05-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Tide will get the ring out ............... It actually sounds like your primer pockets are getting loose or you are using the wrong primer for the case, without more info it is pretty hard to guess further...........Dean

anachronism
05-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Time to pitch the case. You have gas leakage. Continued use will damage the gun, if it hansn't happened already.

Stick_man
05-13-2009, 06:24 PM
It actually sounds to me like a case of the primer pocket getting worn out. It usually occurs with brass that has been reloaded a number of times, but could theoretically happen with a single reload. Although standard and magnum primers are the same size, there can be very slight variations from one manufacturer to the other. Some primers fit a lttle tighter than others. I don't think it would be a case for "wrong size primer". I believe the small pistol and small pistol magnum primers are all the same size from each manufacturer. Same goes for the large pistol, large rifle, and small rifle.

Another possibility might be a little blowback from a slightly damaged primer that did not seat fully. Never seen that personally, but I would imagine it could happen. << grasping for straws >> Possibly dirty primer pockets even before priming????

As indicated by Powderburnerr, more information would be needed for any better guesses.

Good luck

atr
05-13-2009, 06:33 PM
YUP....sounds like a loose primer pocket....
I've "miked" several different brands of primers and they all vary as to diameter and thickness...you might be able to change primer brand to get rid of the ring....
basically though I agree with anachronism...time to pitch the case

Bill*
05-13-2009, 07:29 PM
you could send the cases out to be built up and then remachined to the correct size (at a huge cost) and then......Oh wait, "they" haven't outlawed manufacture of new cases yet.....never mind [smilie=1:
(not a dig on frugality-just a poke at gun laws)

NSP64
05-13-2009, 11:15 PM
These were First loading on lite cast loads (9gr reddot under 150gr .308 boolit 1400 fps) I ordered new 7mm br brass then blew the shoulder forward to make 30 bellm cases. I was using old herters small rifle primers.??

DLCTEX
05-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Try some CCI primers, if you can find them. They seem to be a little larger than some brands, and the HERTERS may be undersize. Won't hurt to try.

Larry Gibson
05-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Yup, not enough pressure to expand the primer cup and seal it.

Larry Gibson

NSP64
05-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Yup, not enough pressure to expand the primer cup and seal it.

Larry Gibson

Good. I know rings are usually a high/ worn out sign. But these were brand new.

fourarmed
05-20-2009, 01:12 PM
I had that problem with light 7BR loads until I switched to CCI-400 primers. Not a leak since.