PDA

View Full Version : 1895 Marlin Cowboy

Four Fingers of Death
05-13-2009, 08:42 AM
I have recently acquired one of these and will be using it in Pat Garrett events at Single Action shoots.

I am getting a one piece firing pin off a mate who imports goodies from the US. There is some rounding off to do on the hammer or bolt I am told (the corners of the trigger are wickedly sharp and will get a seeing to. I pretty much get trigger bite off most guns with my big paws).

Most 'cowboys' seem to fit the leather to the lever loop, but there is barely enough room for two of my fingers in there anyway.

It is a pretty nice rifle apart from the plain finish and sharp edges. I wouldn't mind lopping the barrel though. Six rounds is all they seem to load on most stages. What length would take that many? I suppose they hold 9, so the length of two and a half cartridges to be on the safe side would be the go. I'll use it full length for awhile and see how it goes.

I have a big lube mould for the 45/70, I might take it hunting with the black. Carting a rifle like that through the scrub, loaded with a sheetload of Black Powder and a greasy boolit, why a man would have to dress accordingly, cowboy hat and a buckskin jacket, braces and a real big knife, maybe a pair of moccasins to sneak up on those critters.

Time I went to bed, starting to waffle again.

I'd appreciate any help.

Four Fingers.

corvette8n
05-13-2009, 09:55 AM
You could put a large loop lever on it.
I also put a Wild West Guns 1 piece Ejector and a Galco cheek piece.
I replaced the shoe string lace with real leather, I'm a lefty so the pic is what I got.

Pepe Ray
05-13-2009, 10:17 AM
I really have to commiserate with you guys with large hands or fingers.
I sometimes get irritated with the fellows who whine about "large loop levers" being a product of Hollywood and unnecessary. Obviously they've never stood in a deer stand at 10*F, trying to be prepared for a quick shot and your fingers being so numb that you have to look at your rifle to see the status of your hammer. Mittens of course are the answer but the tiny lever loops mean that you have to use that old bolt action. Crap!!
Pepe Ray

Irascible
05-13-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure of the maker, but there is a slightly enlarged lever on the market meant for a gloved hand. It doesn't look too bad and really helps clearance. It is made by Brockman's and is sold by Midway and Brownel's. The leather on the front of the loop is too protect the hand when rapid cycling (Cowboy Action Shooting).
Speaking of protection, I hope you'll wear some orange on that leather outfit, there are a few sensless people out the hunting, and hunters don't need more bad press!

Four Fingers of Death
05-14-2009, 10:11 PM
This is it, The Wild West Big Loop Lever.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0018667225801a.shtml

The cowboy shooters I know use the leather to cut down the time it takes to crank the lever, because it is a poofteenth of an inch closer to their fingers. The cushioning provided by the leather is a serendipitous result which is not to be sneezed at.

I think I will beaking the edges on the 1895's lever because they are cheaply made and a bit sharp for my softish hands.

I was thinking of fitting a Limbsaver recoil pad and covering it with a leather lace on 'bucket.' The cartridge loops look kinda cool, but I don't think they would be kosher for SASS.

As for hunting in the cold (mind you it gets nowhere as cold here as in the States, but we still have snow, etc around here where I hunt) I wear a pair of lined woolen fingerless gloves with a flip over mitten end which attaches to a piece of velcro on the back of the glove. The palms are suede. A copy of the Norwegian Army gloves we used to get here years ago. Best of both worlds. I need to wear gloves because of my missing digit. The stump goes a cream colour and this spreads into the hand if it gets too cold. With all of the things wrong with me and my age, I probably should stay indoors in bleak weather, but I'd rather die hunting in the snow than be cossetted indoors looking wistfully out the window.

Four Fingers

Firebricker
05-22-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm glad you found one. Two Fingers of Death just does'nt have the same ring to it. LOL
FB

Four Fingers of Death
05-23-2009, 05:29 AM
I'm so hard of hearing lately they will probably start calling me Four Fingers of Deaf soon :D

Here it is:
Hard to fit it into the photo
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Leverguns/Marlin1895Cowboy3.jpg

Close(r) up:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Leverguns/Marlin1895Cowboy4.jpg

Like a Chinese puzzle, hard to get them all to fit back in, can you identify the other toys?:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Leverguns/Marlin1895Cowboy5.jpg

August
05-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Nice rifle!!!

I put a one piece firing pin on one of my match guns and didn't sense any difference in the operation of the gun. I.O.W. it didn't make any difference. Therefore, in my experience, it is not worth compromising the safety of the rifle to employ this accessory. This seems especially the case if you plan to take the rifle into the field. Please accept my caution about the one piece pin and don't do it.

You don't have to fully load the magazine, and that extra length barrel will come in handy for sighting. You may find that an aperture sight is necessary for achieving the accuracy potential of the rifle. A standard Marbles will get you out to 200 yards. They make longer staffs for longer range. Having gone the Marbles route, I would consider a Mid-range Soule sight for my next purchase.

Enjoy that rifle. It's a beaut !!!

Limey
05-23-2009, 03:24 PM
........you ain't got too many guns ''FFOD''......it's just that your gun safe is way too small!........stop muckin' about and buy a bigger one!........tee hee tee hee!

.....enjoy them all!.....

Safe shooting,

Limey

218bee
05-23-2009, 08:38 PM
I love seeing a stuffed gun safe........hmmmm I need a bigger safe but...........this one will fit right here yeah another one fits.........:drinks:

wilddog45
05-27-2009, 11:02 AM
The Wild West Guns trigger is a MUST HAVE for the 1895 CB. It eliminates that trigger flop and has a nice crisp pull.

Four Fingers of Death
05-28-2009, 12:53 AM
........you ain't got too many guns ''FFOD''......it's just that your gun safe is way too small!........stop muckin' about and buy a bigger one!........tee hee tee hee!

.....enjoy them all!.....

Safe shooting,

Limey

Well, ah, hem! I have two other safes, both much bigger, that is the little one in my office :( and a couple of safes for the steenking pistolas.

Mick

Limey
05-28-2009, 06:22 AM
FFoD,

.......right!.......so we are only ''worthy'' of seeing your ''little'' safe eh? ......

....but we'll let you off if you post up pics of the other two PDQ so we can all drool over what ya got!......you lucky son of a ...........

enjoy even more of them....

Safe shooting,

Limey

cajun shooter
05-28-2009, 08:48 AM
August, The three piece firing pin is a lawyer part that will screw up at the wrong time. You are right in that you can tell no difference in firing. It is only a nano second we are talking about. The best reason for the one piece is that it will not break at the wrong time. Marlin and all other rifles did fine with one piece firing pins until some one was looking for a free way to become rich off the deep pockets of the gun companies. How do you like looking at a nice deep blued barrel only to come to the part that says read your owners manual or use this not that in this gun. Life is wonderful and then people screw it up!! A bus load of attorneys going over the cliff nis a damn good start.

Four Fingers of Death
05-29-2009, 07:16 AM
FFoD,

.......right!.......so we are only ''worthy'' of seeing your ''little'' safe eh? ......

....but we'll let you off if you post up pics of the other two PDQ so we can all drool over what ya got!......you lucky son of a ...........

enjoy even more of them....

Safe shooting,

Limey

I must do some pics soon, both for insurance purposes and for interests sake. Like to do a group pics, lever guns, milsup, bolt hunters, etc. A bit busy at the moment though.

Four Fingers.