PDA

View Full Version : Flake Powder

smokemjoe
05-13-2009, 08:28 AM
I have powder measures made by Redding, RCBS, Harrolds, When I load powder like Unique I check ever 5 shells for match shooting, But I still get a few that sound like a light powder load, I have a see threw plastic powder drop tube to watch the powder fall. I bump the handle on the fill positon 3 times and wait a few seconds, How can I stop this light load sound, I wipe the back of the bullet clean so there is no lub. on the base also. Thanks- Joe

jonk
05-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Buy a Lee perfect powder measure. Crap with ball powder but does a great job with flake and stick.

I run into similar issues with light loads of Red Dot in my RCBS unit. It sometimes crushes the flakes into a patty!

danski26
05-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Joe,

I've been having a similar problem with my Redding measure but with Red Dot and 800X. About one out evey 10 drops i get one about 1.5 grains. I fould the issue after a squib load stuck a bullet iin the bore of my Blackhawk and the next one through buldged the barrel. I e-mailed Redding and there great suggestion was to use a slow stroke on the measure. Well it did not change anything when i tried that. I think that the flake powders just don't work very well with the Redding. I am going to test a few other brands and see if any are better. Just need to find the time.

runfiverun
05-14-2009, 08:04 PM
my redding will drop unique better than it will drop stick powders like I-4895
for flake type powders like 700-x the lee dippers will scoop right on the money i have scooped unique and 700-x and weighed them and never was off by more than .1 gr either way.
good enough for those types of powders.
the volumetric type measures seem to do better with flake powders dillon and ponsess,mec etc are volume types ,and do well with most types of flake powders except the really big ones like 800-x and steel.

EMC45
05-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Lee PPM!!!

shotman
05-15-2009, 02:02 AM
I will go with Lee too on the flake. Its the only one that will give me a uniform 3 or 4 gr charge. I have had some good luck with a Lyman55. You need to run main drum tight and use the top fine adjustment bar.

smokemjoe
05-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Okey fellows, I called my friend that shoots a Palma rifle and asked him what he uses for his 308 rifle and he also shoots alot of handgun in the winter,He said he has 3 Lee perfect measures, I about dropped the phone. He siad he would bring one over for me to try, Thanks- Joe

EMC45
05-15-2009, 09:30 AM
They work Great! Mine makes my Uniflow look like junk.

Jon
05-15-2009, 12:47 PM
I will go with Lee too on the flake. Its the only one that will give me a uniform 3 or 4 gr charge. I have had some good luck with a Lyman55. You need to run main drum tight and use the top fine adjustment bar.

I've had good luck with the Lyman 55 measure using Bullseye.

crowbeaner
05-15-2009, 09:54 PM
I use my Uniflow for everything; I'm ordering the Dillon adapter so I can use it on the progressive and load extruded powders.