PDA

View Full Version : Uberti Hi-Wall 38-55 with new barrel shot today.

Buckshot
05-13-2009, 03:34 AM
..............I think I mentioned in another thread that when I got it back I immediately ran a patch through the barrel and it just glided through? BIG improvement! I shot it for the first time last week, and then again today. Last week was 50 rounds of 220gr Hornady jacketed slugs as a kind of barrel break in deal. They were clocking about 1620 fps and I thought I was putting them all through the same hole.

Then I noticed a couple odd holes here and there. Like at extremes of the whole target paper! At the break I walked down to see and the jacketed slugs WERE tumbleing :-) Some good clean full silhuettes, some point on and some oval ones, HA! I wasn't concerned as the lands were only getting about a .002" bite, and I WAS kind of pushing them. Gopherslayer was there and had some cast ammo loaded for his M1885 Uberti he suggested I try. I didn't expect much after over 30 rounds of jacketed stuff but gave them a try.

He was calling my shots (50 yards) and the first 3 weren't real shiny. The 2nd was about 4" below the first, and then the 3rd landed about 1.5" above the second. However the 4th landed between the 2nd and 3rd, and as I continued to shoot it built a group which left the first high shot up there all alone. Seven rounds in maybe 2" after 30 some jacketed rounds.

Today I had 80 rounds of cast for 8 different loads just to see what might happen. The new barrel has a .380" groove but happily it will chamber ammo loaded with the swaged and paper patched slugs at .382" I'd fabbed up for the original barrel. Seventy rounds were loaded with the Lee 375-250F. These drop at .380" and a couple tenths and were lubed in a .380" die.

http://www.fototime.com/60E6988607F591E/standard.jpg

The rounds loaded with a 292gr swagged and patched HP slug. These were laoded over 25.0grs of surplus IMR4198, dacron and a cardwad. These 10 paper patched rounds did the best. They produced a group a bit shy of 1.5" at 50 yards.

http://www.fototime.com/2EEBEF6922E233B/standard.jpg

Some of the Lee's were seated to engrave and some were seated into the crimp groove and got a crimp. Some of the loads used dacron, some not. Not real scientific but it wasn't intended to be. It was just a smattering of previously accurate loads as used in a 1893 Marlin (except the PP'd ones).

The rifle WILL shoot! It did best with engraved slugs over loads using dacron, vs shorter seated crimped loads. One other thing it did was to be very consistant in needing a couple foulers when switching between loads to settle down. The paper patched rounds were the 3rd set fired so the rifle had 50 grease grooved Lee's fired through it afterwards. At home I wetted a patch with Hoppe's #9 and ran it through the barrel. The patch produced a couple bits of lead. A second patch showed none. Brushing and a patch also produced none.

Considering these last 50 rounds were of basically only groove size and visually inspected, then loaded over thrown charges in brand new FL sized cases, I was very happy with its overall performance. A couple of the loads and the paper patched ones pretty well proved that it WILL shoot. What a difference from the original barrel!

.................Buckshot

montana_charlie
05-13-2009, 12:35 PM
The long wait was probably caused by the fact that the Uberti guys had to wait for a dark, moonless night...when nobody was home at the Pedersoli plant...so they could sneak in and grab a good barrel to send you.
Ya think...?

timkelley
05-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Buckshot, glad it works now[smilie=w:

Yellowhouse
05-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Did you swage those PPB yourself or purchase them.. if so would like to know source.

Buckshot
05-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Did you swage those PPB yourself or purchase them.. if so would like to know source.

.............Made the swage dies and swaged'em my oneself :-)

..............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
05-15-2009, 02:10 AM
It sounds like your long sojourn of aggravation is at an end, senor. Good news indeed!

You about ready for NCBS?

Jon K
05-15-2009, 02:36 AM
It sounds like your long sojourn of aggravation is at an end, senor. Good news indeed!

Ditto........Ditto...........It's about time!!!

Jon

6.5 mike
05-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Glad to hear your troubles seem to be over. I had read about them in the old archives when they started. Made me think over the hi-wall question a long time before I asked. Very nice looking loads too, I don't know much about the 38-55 but those look imperive.

Buckshot
05-16-2009, 02:53 AM

You about ready for NCBS?

...........I are now a NRA certified Range Safety Occifer :-) Yup, I have some ammo loaded and am loading more for the hootinanny!

..............Buckshot

45r
05-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Good to hear you like your highwall now.My 45-70 highwall from Davidson's is shooting 480PB Saeco's into a ragged hole with 26.0 grains 5744.Same with 300GC rcbs with 49.2 grains Vitt-133.I like highwall rifles a lot.Took a while to find the right loads but real happy now.

John Boy
05-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Buckshot, do you plan to shoot the rifle/reloads at longer distances?
I was shooting my Uberti HiWall this week at silhouettes (out to the Ram's) and was pleased with accuracy. Wind was running 25+, so the number of consecutive hits wouldn't put me in the Master classification.

Components were:
... Starline 2.125 brass
... CCI Br2 primers
... Construction paper wad over primer hole
... 42gr FFg
... 1/16 dry felt wad
... Lyman 378674 1:20 bullets seated to bottom of driving band

dromia
05-31-2009, 02:03 AM
I'm so glad that its been finally resolved, I do like happy endings. :-D

Would you buy a Uberti again?

Buckshot
06-03-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm so glad that its been finally resolved, I do like happy endings. :-D

Would you buy a Uberti again?

No I would not unless it was used, I knew the owner or the owner would let me see it shoot 1st. Way too many reports of spotty accuracy. According to Pedersoli's U.S. rep, Uberti doesn't even have barrel making equipment capable of producing a barrel close to match grade. That is even assuming they had the time, desire, or talent.

...............John Boy, thank you for the load recommendation. What make of powder are you using? I've used that 42gr charge before but was using Elephant 3Fg.

...............Buckshot