PDA

View Full Version : Mac 10......

NSP64
05-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Anyone ever own one? What is the difference between the full and semi?

stubshaft
05-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Full auto fired from open bolt and semi fired from closed bolt.

Johnch
05-12-2009, 10:58 PM
I had a Semi

About as accurate as ........lets just say it wasn't

Mine had a dislike for anything not FMJ RN
It would feed hard Ball style cast

IMO Designed for spray and pray work

Maybe I had a lemmon in terms of accuracy

John

NSP64
05-12-2009, 11:35 PM
I heard they also made a version that fired semi from an open bolt?

Kuato
05-12-2009, 11:45 PM
I have a Masterpiece Arms Mac11 9mm. I absolutely love it. Its very accurate (given the rudimentary sights) & feeds ball, LEE 125 TC, & hollow points just fine. The added advantage of using plentiful & cheap Sten mags Is great.

The older Cobrays had feeding issues with anything but ball ammo. Plastic mags were (are) expensive & well, plastic..... The Mac11 I have shoots just as accurately as my HiPower. Remember, these things have a fixed 6" barrel. Macs have to be lubed to function perfectly. I've run about 800 rounds through mine with ZERO issues, & that includes some good ol bump firing sessions.

As for the difference between the semi & full auto, several grand. $$$$

Rick459
05-12-2009, 11:49 PM
the first Mac-10's 9mm and .45acp were semi auto firing from an open bolt. they were just versions of the full auto without the slective fire lever and a different disconector. they had a nasty habit of going full auto when you least expected it. they were very easy to convert to full auto that's why they went over to a closed bolt to make them ATF legal to sell. that's why i sold mine. the one i had was pretty accurate for an open bolt weapon and would feed anything i fed it including the H&G#68 wad cutter. HTH

Rick

redneckdan
05-13-2009, 12:38 PM
They're both bullet hoses....once just hoses faster than the other.

Silicon Wolverine
05-15-2009, 05:40 PM
alot can depend on the maker. masterpiece, MAC and others a very good. Some of the vulcan/hesse guns were horrid and dangerous.

any small SMG style weapon like these is going to be innacurate compared to a standard semi auto pistol. the M-10/11 guns were especially so due to thier design flaws. neat toy to try a few times. i owned mine less than a year and sold it. it got old FAST.

SW

Throwback
05-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Without a supressor or a barrel extension to hold onto they are both worse than inaccurate, crude, and heavy for their size. On full auto they fire way too quickly. Rumor is however that they are cleaning house in competition since someone came up with an effective rate reducer. A buddy has a Mac in .45ACP and hopes to get one of these as soon they come out with a model for that caliber. The stock on the SMG is ludicrous but better than nothing.

MtGun44
05-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Throwback is exactly right. I fired a Mac10 .45 ACP several times full auto without the
suppressor. Absolutely uncontrollable, useless. I can easily handle .45ACP in 1911 at
very high speed (IPSC for decades) but was shocked that I and my friend were totally
unable to control this thing. Nothing to grip, cocking piece cycling on top, tried the little
loop on the front, no help, just put the 3 or 4th shot into the ceiling of our indoor range.
Fortunately, the range owner was the gun owner and was letting us shoot it. Pretty
frustrating and it struck me as useless without the long 'handle' that the suppressor or
fake suppressor would provide.

Bill

jhrosier
05-17-2009, 07:34 AM
I had a MAC-10 open bolt semi-auto back in the day.
It was wonderfully inaccurate and didn't work well with cast boolit handloads.
I could keep most of the shots on a 55 gal. drum at 7 yards.

The open bolt guns did have one redeeming feature.
After production stopped, they went up in price quickly.
I traded mine even for a very nice Winchester Model 52 target rifle.:drinks:

Jack

leadeye
05-17-2009, 09:45 AM
My experience with the MACs has been positive. Very reliable and reasonably accurate for an open bolt gun if fired using the stock and short bursts. Semi auto shooting wasn't bad either.:-D:Fire:

Westwindmike
05-17-2009, 01:53 PM
I had a M-11 in 9mm years ago. When the prices went up on them, I traded mine even for a M1 Garand. Still got that one!

Kuato
05-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Here's mine.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2951/mpa30.jpg

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4544/mpa302.jpg

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3038/mpa301.jpg

It LOVES the LEE 356-125gr TC TL boolits...

:Fire:

:Fire:

swheeler
05-17-2009, 08:23 PM
"I heard they also made a version that fired semi from an open bolt? " Yes indeed, I bought a couple in 1979-80 from Furr's Supermarket in Borger or Amarillo,Tx? 395.00 ea. IIRC Ingram Mac 10, you could burn up a whole lot of 45acp with them and fun to fire at night, a real light show.

ddeaton
05-17-2009, 10:26 PM
I have an old original pre 72 I think. I havent looked at it in years. I would trade it for a good Garand in a heartbeat. I might blow the dust out of it and try and pawn it off.