PDA

View Full Version : Hope to be started by this weekend

Randall Kepley
05-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi guys, Been lurking here for awhile and have now joined! :mrgreen: Ive got most everything to do my smelting and to make my ingots, w/ one exception. I dont have my cast iron pot yet. I have several places where I can buy one anywhere from $ 25.00 - $ 45.00 , in a 6 - 8 qrt size. My question is , does it have to be a cast iron pot ? Or can it be something diff. Thanks for all the info guys. R.K.

OBXPilgrim
05-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Aluminum can be dangerous. If you do a search on the site, you might find where someone had one fail. Some have some welded steel pots. I think cast iron is best. Hot, molten lead pouring from an elevated place due to a failed pot ought to scare the crap out of anyone.

Before you buy that 6-8 quart cast iron pot, double think whatever it is you have to support all that weight if you fill that big pot with lead. Some folks here have some huge smelting pots, but they also have some king-kong strong tables/stands to put them on. A molten lead accident can ruin your day.

BTW, welcome to the site. The search feature can be your best friend here.

mooman76
05-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Try some thrift stores or garage sales. You can usually pick one up for a few bucks. Steel works too.

6.5 mike
05-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Randall, welcome , you've come to the right place, I just joined myself recently.
The folks here won't steer you wrong, just ask, someone will answer. Again welcome.

runfiverun
05-13-2009, 12:07 AM
a 6 qt dutch oven will hold 75 lbs of alloy.
i use two of them at a time, on a double burner set up. but i have shortened the legs and they sit on a metal table.
my two pots and burner are pushing 20 years now.

WHITETAIL
05-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Randel, Welcome to the forum!:cbpour:

WHITETAIL
05-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Yes, try looking for a stainles steel pot,
or a speckled pot.:redneck: