PDA

View Full Version : picture of the barn burning

Lloyd Smale
05-12-2009, 07:16 AM
still burning

badgeredd
05-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Lloyd,

I can see why you are sick at heart. The good thing is that you and yours weren't hurt. If that is what you came home to, I can see why you told them to let it go.

Edd

leadman
05-12-2009, 12:20 PM
This has made me think about how I store my reloading supplies. I reload and cast in my garage attached to the house.
I may have to put up a building in the back.

Trey45
05-12-2009, 12:34 PM
I reload and cast in my garage, it's detached but semi connected to the house via a breezeway. If my garage went up, it would take the house with it I'm sure. Lloyd, I know it may sound strange, but in a way you're kind of lucky, lucky in the fact that your reloading barn wasn't atached to your house! It's still a shame what happened, but it could have been a lot worse. I'm still fairly new to all of this, the part of all of this that I enjoy(ed) the most has been acquiring the tools necessary to cast, reload, size, lube, all that. Casting is great, as is reloading, but there's just something about unpacking that new press, or mould, or whatever and setting it up to use thats somehow more fun. Maybe it's the little boy having christmas aspect of it, but whatever it is, you get to do all that over again! Makes me want to buy a press now just thinking about it.

waksupi
05-12-2009, 07:30 PM
I hope my shop never catches fire. The fire department is about 3 miles away. They should be safe at that distance, and I will sure be getting far away! There is at least 50 # of BP in there, and lots of other goodies that go boom!

briang
05-12-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm getting chills looking at that pic

Springfield
05-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks to Lloyd I went a bought a bunch of surplus containers and put all my extra primers in there and moved them out to the storage shed away from the house. The BP was already out there, and my smokeless is next. Thinking of moving the casting out there too, I REALLY can't afford to lose my house. Freed up some room in my garage, too!

Lloyd Smale
05-12-2009, 09:58 PM
I hope this at least keeps someone else from screwing up like i did. JUst to many years of doing this and i got complacent. The new barn will have a poured concrete loading room and a seperate small building for casting. Kind of a kick in the ass as i just got my house payed off and the insurance will never pay to replace what i have let alone what i want so its back to the bank a month after being out of debt.

crowbeaner
05-12-2009, 10:01 PM
I know how you feel; I went to my shed and found $7000 of stuff missing. At least the dirty rotten SOBs left me my single stage equipment. Insurance companies will rot in hell hopefully.

sargenv
05-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Oops.. Ok, I read the back story.. :(

Big Boomer
05-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Lloyd: Sure sorry about what happened to you. Hope things work out that you can get back into your favorite pasttime soon. My wife and I just built a new home in southern Ky. (move in in October '07). The house has a full basement with poured walls with a couple of extra feet in the height of the basement walls
(10' as opposed to 8'). Under he front porch I had footers poured (as opposed to just laying up a wall) and a room made with poured (steel reinforced) walls and a steel door. Room isn't large but with careful shelving and a proportioned work bench (with presses mounted on 2" x 12" pieces of lumber) I can get most everything in there, powder on one end, primers on the other, guns in a small safe in the middle. When not in use, I can set the presses out of the room in the large, unfinished basement. Since we have a geothermal furnace, no flame is in the house. The only thing that gets hot is the kitchen stove (electric). While I have electrical outlets in the "inner sanctum," none are used regularly except for one that supplies a small, low wattage bulb to keep the gun safe free of moisture. All bullet casting is done outside or a couple of hundred yards away at a garage. Never had a fire but you can't be too careful. 'Tuck

Slow Elk 45/70
05-13-2009, 01:38 AM
Lloyd, you have my sympathy, i lost my farm house in Colorado in "98" and my reloading eqt, and supplys were in the basement. The fire dept. stayed on the highway a 1/4 mi. away and watched the fireworks display. The insurance company did not come close to replacing my losses. But at least no one was injured.