PDA

View Full Version : M-44 Nagant Help

chemist308
05-11-2009, 12:20 AM
I've got an old M-44 Mosin Nagant (7.62x54R). The end of the barrel will accept a loaded cartridge, including brass, right up to where it slopes after the neck. But the whole barrel is not like that--that is, if you drop a 30 cal jacketed bullet in, the bore catches it about an inch or two into the barrel. It's not accurate, not even at 50 yards, and has tumbled jacketed bullets at that range.

Is this something I might be able to cure by slugging the barrel and shooting cast bullets of size measured?

JeffinNZ
05-11-2009, 12:38 AM
If the muzzle end is as bad as you suggest you will have to amputate a few inches from the loud end to get it to shoot. Sounds like it has been mistreated big time.

Mallard57
05-11-2009, 01:40 AM
You're barrel might be counter-bored, mine is.
Jeff

Nora
05-11-2009, 01:43 AM
If it looks like it was machined that way, it is normal for the old guns. It's what is called "counter boring". The crown and the rifling at the end had become worn out. To "fix" it and still keep it in service the end of the barrel was bored to remove enough of what was worn to make it shoot straight again. Many of the M-38's and M44's had this done. Mine included.
Also it sounds like the bore of yours is on the large side. Slug it and see. Mine is .302/.314, wile I've heard of some being as large as .316. If you were to cast a boolit that will actually fit I'll bet you will be surprised as to how descent some of them will shot.

Nora

willyboy
05-12-2009, 11:50 AM
my Lee I80 gr. mold drops them at .314,when the mold is hot.You could get the Lee mold,and just not resize before loading.

Junior1942
05-12-2009, 12:28 PM
If it looks like it was machined that way, it is normal for the old guns. It's what is called "counter boring". The crown and the rifling at the end had become worn out. To "fix" it and still keep it in service the end of the barrel was bored to remove enough of what was worn to make it shoot straight again. Many of the M-38's and M44's had this done. Mine included.
Also it sounds like the bore of yours is on the large side. Slug it and see. Mine is .302/.314, wile I've heard of some being as large as .316. If you were to cast a boolit that will actually fit I'll bet you will be surprised as to how descent some of them will shot.

Nora

Right on both counts--it's counterbored and probably overbored. One of mine slugs .3155".