PDA

View Full Version : Lyman molds and seater stems.

tackstrp
05-10-2009, 08:43 PM
I have a number of Lyman most SWC and round bullets seem to work Ok with my Lee and C&H seater dies.

But I do have one mold .429303, with the top punch for the sizer and the seater stem that i special ordered from Lyman, *expensive" .. Now I find I do not have a Lyman die that I can use.

Will Lyman bullet seating stems fit any other manufacturers Seating dies?

HeavyMetal
05-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Are you talking about the inner "rod" that goes in the sizing die?

I know these are called the H & I die set but really don't know which is which. More importantly I didn't realize you had to have a special component other than the specific top punch for the 429303!

This is a gas check boolit and should work with any RCBS or Lyman 429 430 431 sizing die! I never knew you could by the H without the I from Lyman.

I jhad an original 429303 for years and lost it and bought a NEI copy which I still have! The original top punch still works well and I never needed any extra parts except a standard sizing die set up.

Echo
05-11-2009, 02:44 AM
"H" is the body, "I" is the center 'pusher' that ejects the sized boolit...

But I believe you are talking about the seater stem in the seater die, right? If you can't find one that fits the nose of the boolit, you could use a little epoxy as has been mentioned on other threads to make a cavity in the seater punch that conforms to the boolit nose.

dromia
05-11-2009, 03:57 AM
As has been said epoxy, JB Weld or for some thing a little bit more temporary crumpled up tin foil held in place on the seater stem with a dab of boolit lube.

August
05-11-2009, 05:01 AM
A little off the beam, but I thought I'd share two pieces of experience. One, sometimes you can fill, or partially fill, the nose of a seating plug with hot glue and match it up pretty well to the bullet shape you want to seat. I've done this with my lubriciser, so it ought to work on a seating plug.

Second, if you own RCBS dies, and find yourself in the position of needing a different seating plug configuration, you call them and they send it. They refuse to take any money for this service.