PDA

View Full Version : materiel for G.C.

canuck4570
05-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Which GC is better for the barrel
aluminum or copper ? *less wear*
What is the best tool available for making them?
and what king of press do I need, I have a Rcbs rock chucker is this press strong enough?
thank you from someone who is tired of paying big money or them.....

RobS
05-10-2009, 01:47 PM
I can't really tell you which checker would be better as I only use one design, but I use freechex gas check makers and they work just fine. You do not need a press with this design, but you can I suppose. These are sold exclusively on ebay by a gentleman who does nice work. As for material......I have tried different types of GC from copper to aluminum and have found that the temper and thickness of the material has more to do with the success and accuracy. I have found that if the gas checks are able to be pulled off by hooking my finger nail under one then usually the accuracy has been inconsistent.

Some people think that aluminum oxide might be a problem, but this is not likely as most aluminum has been processed and would not happen. I use aluminum as it is less expensive and easier to find. For my 30 cal rifle GC I have used "For Sale" signs for $1.17 at Walmart and it will make well over 500 gas checks. This material is about 0.0125" and crimps on snug. As for the 45 cal gas checks this material is not quite thick enough and where I turn to using aluminum bud bottles (not the cans). I go to my local pizza hut or bar and ask them for the bottles.........Free aluminum as they simply throw them away. This material runs about 0.0145” and I use it for all my gas checks now.

Rob