PDA

View Full Version : Benilli B80 7.65 Parabellum

StarMetal
03-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Deputy Al,

Well I finally got the Benelli 30 Luger (yeah 30 Luger to those of you that didn't know what the 7.65 Parabellum was in the title). Gosh, it's a Swiss clock Allen, finely crafted and of it's operations. This pistol is probably a rare bird then most you fellows are use to. First it doesn't employ the Browning tilt barrel, link camdown, or ramp camdown, nor does it employ the Beretta and Walther type breech lock up. You're aske well what the heck does it use. Actually something very similar to the FN49 or the SKS, or even the FNLAR, yup...this semi-auto pistol has a separate internal bolt. The barrel is ridgetly affixed to the frame (great for accuracy). The grip angle rivals that of the famous Luger...when you snap this pistol up it's pointing right at what you intended it too. Oh, so you're asking if it's such a niffly pistol why isn't Benelli making them. Well, simple, Benelli elected to come out with this pistol, with it's single column 8 round magazine in a time that high capacity double stack wondernines were the rage. That coupled to the steep angled Luger grip, which doesn't encourage reliable feeding of all types of bullet configurations put the nail in the coffin. As to why Benelli got out of the pistol business altogether...I don't have an answer for. Anyways this gun is way cool and it come with an extra 9mm barrel.

Shooting results will be forth coming.

Joe

9.3X62AL
03-01-2006, 05:42 PM
I vaguely recall seeing one of these MANY years back, but no firing or significant handling occurred. Back then, I was focused on revolvers--and the only "automatic" on the radar screen was in 45 caliber. Not a bad view of the world, I suppose--but a little narrow.

The 30 Luger example I have--a Ruger P-89C with a similar 30 Luger/9 x 19 swap barrel setup--is just a delight to fire. Accurate, almost recoilless--but LOUD in full-strength loadings. I have run 90 grain XTP's well past 1300 FPS with some rated-R powder weights of AA-7 in this caliber, using the 9mm recoil spring from the Ruger toybox. Using the lighter recoil spring, loads with castings at 1000 FPS feed reliably. I need to empty out some of these rounds, and try the #311419 that has done so well with the 7.62 x 25 Tokarev/CZ-52.

Mid-calibers ROCK!

j4570
03-07-2006, 09:57 PM
StarMetal,

The Benelli B series are neat guns. I have a B76 (9mm Luger) and B82 (9mm Ultra). I like my B82 a lot better, even though it was a Police Trade Simpson's was selling several years back. Maybe because it's just broken in well, I don't know.

I've toyed with selling my B76 on Gunsamerica, just haven't gotten myself up to it.

It's not really that easy to swap barrels.

I have an article on it somewhere, I'll try and find it for you. Email me if you would like me to email a copy.

I actually always liked the 30 Luger, though I never owned one, seemed like a neat round. I think Starline is making Brass for it now.

Figured out how to strip it yet?

Nice Gun, you will enjoy it. It shares some design features with a Sig 210 (like fixed barrel).

One thing my transfer dealer pointed out, is that it would be easy to put a silencer on because the barrel doesn't recoil so the silencer would affect the operation of the pistol. Of course, he is a Class III dealer, and I'm not really into silencers, but an interesting observation.

JW

StarMetal
03-07-2006, 10:05 PM
j4570

Strip my B80 in few seconds flat, not hard at all. Swapping the barrel is no big deal, you clamp the barrel block in an appropiate vise and fit the proper size wrench to the barrel flats and screw it off COUNTER CLOCKWISE...did you know they have lefthand threads.

The B80 shoots as good or better then I thought it would. There are some groups that have put a clip full into a hole you can cover with a quarter at 25 yards.

Any day now I'm expecting a brand new barrel in 30 Luger for my Browning HP. Yes I know all about the barrel is a tad smaller diameter then the 9mm barrel and that is taken care of.

Now I'll have a P08 Luger, a Colt 1911, a Benelli B80, and a Browning HP ....all in 30 Luger.

Joe

j4570
03-07-2006, 11:40 PM
StarMetal,

Your experience mirrors mine with my B82. Very accurate.

I didn't know that about the barrel. My point was that it's not as easy as swapping a barrel in a 1911, provided both are already fitted.

However, it would be a gun that would be easy to make a new barrel for on a lathe since it's just round.

Maybe I should just track down a 30 Luger Barrel for my B76? That's starting to interest me. Wonder how much someone would charge me to turn a barrel?

Jason

StarMetal
03-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Jason,

You're right about it not being as easy barrel swap as a 1911 or Browning HP. Thing I wonder about is how many times you can actually swap it out and not wear the threads to the point the extractor cut doesn't line up anymore and I also wonder as to how tight it is threaded in.

Here's something I fould very interesting. The extra 9mm barrel I have with it is totally finished EXCEPT it's not chambered nor is the extractor cut there or little ramp on the very edge of the barrel. It's rifled and all, threaded, has the wrench flats. Also there are no stampings on the 9mm barrel at all unlike the 7.65 barrel. Must be proof marks and stuff I guess. To tell you the truth, I believe an expert machinist made it because it's hardy any different then the factory 7.65 barrel, even the funny shape of the muzzle is the same. You would think if Benelli made it that it would be chambered and marked.

Joe

j4570
03-08-2006, 12:13 AM
StarMetal,

I have seen a few of the B80's with the extra barrel for sale on gunsamerica/gunbroker over the last few years.

I think they were offered from the factory, or distributor at least (possibly to try and move the B80's which weren't selling).

Jason