PDA

View Full Version : X-ray Lead

454PB
03-01-2006, 04:06 PM
There have been numerous posts about sheet lead that was used for shielding around X-ray equipment. Most of that stuff is pure or nearly pure lead, here is something different. A fellow caster traded this to me for some linotype. It appears to be a storage container for some kind of radiactive material. I put one of my 320 gr. .454 boolits on it for scale. I cast some of this same boolit from this alloy, and it is nearly the same weight and hardness as wheelweight metal.

sundog
03-01-2006, 05:30 PM
... so THAT'S where all the wheel weights are going! sundog

redneckdan
03-01-2006, 06:12 PM
yep, I picked up almost 3 ton of these type containers for my dad's casting use. They were actually harder than wheel weight. The stuff that they use for architectural shielding is very soft.

Slowpoke
03-01-2006, 10:09 PM
There have been numerous posts about sheet lead that was used for shielding around X-ray equipment. Most of that stuff is pure or nearly pure lead, here is something different. A fellow caster traded this to me for some linotype. It appears to be a storage container for some kind of radiactive material. I put one of my 320 gr. .454 boolits on it for scale. I cast some of this same boolit from this alloy, and it is nearly the same weight and hardness as wheelweight metal.

I got hooked up with a guy that delivers that stuff to the various hospitals, Every Saturday he brings me three of those containers, only these look like a small football and weigh 38 lb. ea., I give him ten pounds of sinkers in return.

This OLE boy is from S. Carolina and ends every sentence with "YA Know What I Mean" cracks me up.

Oh yea these check out at 11 BHN, at first I was kind of disappointed I was hoping for soft lead.

Oh well Its like grandmother used to tell me, Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

good luck

StarMetal
03-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Those Georga boys ends everything with "huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" when you ask them a question or even say anything to them whether they heard you or not, tears me up.

Thing about southerners that are in the Applachia regions, when they say about going somewhere...example. Like up North they will say "I went to Walmart today" Well the Applachia folks would say "I went to the Walmart today" That always tears me up. There's alot of neat and interesting slang in our country.

Joe