PDA

View Full Version : Lee's Breech Lock & Hornady's Lock 'N' Load

Naphtali
05-09-2009, 06:11 PM
I just bought a Lee cast iron "O" frame press. I noticed that the cheaper Lee Challenger press has a quick die change system Lee called Breech Lock. It appears to be a die collar with interrupted thread. Hornady offers something that appears to do a similar quick change, but requires somewhat more hardware to do it.

I know Hornady's system works, but I was unaware of Lee's system until yesterday. Does it work? Does it work as well as Hornady's? If it does, can it be used or adapted to the cast iron press?

DLCTEX
05-09-2009, 06:47 PM
I am not familiar with Lee's Breechlock, but someone posted that it had slop when the die was locked in. The Hornady Lock and Load requires that you remove the adapter bushing from 1 1/8 to 7/8 that is scewed into presses like RCBS Rockchucker. This adapter then allows the quick change of dies and has no slop when the die is locked in. I use the Hornady system in my Rockchucker and really like it. I have bushings for most of the calibers I use regularly. I don,t know if the Challenger press has the 1 1/8 threads for the adapter.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Like Dale, I use the Hornady LnL system. I have a Lee Classic Cast single stage. The system works well and is very simple to install and use. I highly recommend it for those who have 1 1/8ths thread hole on their single stage.

I can't comment on the breech lock, other than it's a similar idea, but not sure if it will install on the Lee Classic. My preference, based on what I've read so far, would be the LnL bushing conversion and a set of 10 bushings or more, depending on die sets.

Regards,

Dave

1hole
05-11-2009, 10:02 AM
"(Lee and) Hornady offers something that appears to do a similar quick change,.."

I own up-ward of 110 individual dies. Purely personal but I feel that it takes so little time to exchange a screw-in die that expensive "quick change" devices are pointless.

briang
05-11-2009, 03:06 PM
The lee system cannot be used in press that isn't made for it, it is machined into the press not a bushing like the LNL.

BCB
05-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Naphtali,

I was the guy who posted the locking system on the Lee breech lock has slop and it does. But I discovered that the bushing can be screwed in and the spring loaded button that holds the bushing in place—it goes into a half-moon notch in the bushing—can be held down and the bushing screwed over it. That makes for a solid bushing and then regular dies can be screwed in and out as with any press. The breech lock systems have not advantage as far as I can see—why buy bushing when all you need are dies that screw into a press. Makes no sense to me. BUT the slop is removed when the bushing is screwed in tight and the button is not used to hold the bushing in place. I have included a link to the Lee website and the page that shows the Breech lock press. You can see the little spring loaded button on the top of the press. Don’t get it but there it is…BCB

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1242074079.3875=/html/catalog/rlpress1.html#breech

recycledelectrons
05-19-2009, 02:21 AM
"(Lee and) Hornady offers something that appears to do a similar quick change,.."

I own up-ward of 110 individual dies. Purely personal but I feel that it takes so little time to exchange a screw-in die that expensive "quick change" devices are pointless.

I reload a bit over 50 calibers, and also like screw-in dies better. I can screw a die in a single stage, a turret press, or a progressive press. The adapters from Hornady & Lee only keep the die adjusted to one press.

The one place I do keep dies pre-set is for my Lee Turret Press. The $10 turrets are worth buying a few spares to keep really common calibers set up.

Andy

GSPKurt
05-19-2009, 11:16 AM
My LnL bushings will back out while in use, especially the powder measure and FCD. I put witness marks with a Sharpie and keep a close eye on them.

Naphtali
05-19-2009, 11:24 AM

I own up-ward of 110 individual dies. Purely personal but I feel that it takes so little time to exchange a screw-in die that expensive "quick change" devices are pointless.Simple and obvious works for me.

TAWILDCATT
05-20-2009, 07:25 PM
I have said it before the LNL is a solution for an obsolete press system.a lee turret holds the dies and a small turn lifts the whole unit out.My dies are in turrets
and have powder measures dedicated to the load.every thing stays together.I have the old turret.I wont need another press,but you never know what you fall into.since I have 15 presses????and 85 ys old. but I do think the lee classic cast
is great. Dillons are not for new loaders but for large production.:coffee:[smilie=1:

GSPKurt
05-20-2009, 08:03 PM
I have said it before the LNL is a solution for an obsolete press system.

What makes you think it's obsolete?

Bret4207
05-21-2009, 07:46 AM

Me 3! An answer in search of a question.

TAWILDCATT
05-22-2009, 09:00 AM
lee makes a turret press with removable turrets.you set up you dies,and then you can remove all at once.if you add a dedicated powder measure[Lee}you have the whole set to go.the press can be use as a single stage or a auto advance.frankly
I always used it as a single stage and just tried it as auto advance and I like it.
I have the lee reloader press,good for bullet sizing and bullet pulling.I have bonanza and RCBS RC,Herters,Modern Bond,trueline jr,and RCBS green machine, and two lee 1000.I started when they had Ideal tong tools and my first was a winchester 32/20 tong tool and mold with a 73 winchester rifle.:coffee:[smilie=1:

Heavy lead
05-25-2009, 10:30 PM
My LnL bushings will back out while in use, especially the powder measure and FCD. I put witness marks with a Sharpie and keep a close eye on them.

Mine two, especially the powder measure. In my mind the only thing Hornady could do to improve the LNL AP is to get rid of the LNL feature and thread the darn press. I can screw dies in and out just fine thank you.