PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 7.65 Arg Carbine Barrel

Uncle Grinch
03-01-2006, 03:16 PM
I have tried everything that I know of to get my '09 Argentine Carbine to shoot a decent group (as in hit the paper at 50 yards!!). Time has come to do something about it. The way I see it, as I am committed to keeping the rifle in it's military configuration, is to do one of the following...

1. Find a replacement carbine barrel

2. Get the existing barrel rebored and rechambered

3. Fit another Mauser barrel to it, ie... sight sleeve, bayonet lug.

I searched all the websites and made quite a few phone calls and did not find a carbine barrel. Hoosier Gunworks did have a rifle barrel in good condition, but I'm not sure of the work involved in making it fit. The bayonet lug, front and rear sight and upper handguard fit all come to mind.

I can get the existing barrel rebored and rechambered to a 338-'06 for $270. For that price, I might find another rifle.

Does anyone have a carbine barrel they would like to sell?

Buckshot
03-02-2006, 03:14 AM
............blslryr, Springfield Sporters used to have carbine barrels. This was before the original owner passed away and the kids parted the place out. One of the sons is running it again. I'm glad to see their prices haven't shot through the roof. If you haven't tried them, I'd suggest it. They don't put out a catalog any longer and not all their stuff is listed on line yet.

I'll bet the rifle barrel would work. However the steps would have to be turned back to the right positions.

....................Buckshot

Uncle Grinch
03-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks Buckshot..

I tried Springfield Sporters and they did not have any Argentine barrels at all. As a matter of fact, I have tired... Ebay, Gunbroker, Auction Arms, Numrich, Sarco, Samco, Century Arms, Popperts, Bob's, Tenessee Gun Parts, Empire, Kebco, and a couple of other military rifle forums.

About the best chance so far is a very good condition M98 8mm barrel with sights. It's 23 1/2 inches, so it's real close to the right length. I might have to switch the upper forearm out or modify it.

I'll keep looking.....

JBMauser
03-11-2006, 11:39 PM
I had a similar problem with a '91 agri carbine. I did not cast bullets at the time and I shot it with that Surplus San Fransisco ammo which is crap. I sold it to buy a 1895 chilean carbine. love the Chilean but wish I had kept the Keyholeing Argie as I think I could have gotten it under control with oversized cast bullets at softer pressure. That is speculation but since the Chilean keyholded for me as well untill I reduced the load rather than taking it higher. It settled down to hit dead on at point of aim. Of course you can sell it to me... JB

JBMauser
03-11-2006, 11:51 PM
I had a similar problem with a '91 agri carbine. I did not cast bullets at the time and I shot it with that Surplus San Fransisco ammo which is crap. I sold it to buy a 1895 chilean carbine. love the Chilean but wish I had kept the Keyholeing Argie as I think I could have gotten it under control with oversized cast bullets at softer pressure. That is speculation but since the Chilean keyholded for me as well untill I reduced the load rather than taking it higher. It settled down to hit dead on at point of aim. Of course you can sell it to me... JB

j4570
03-12-2006, 09:46 PM
I had a guy make me a barrel duplicating a Muaser barrel. I bought a midway blank and sent him the blank with a drawing.

He goes by Mr. bonecrusher on the FALfiles.com.

He had me send my Turk receiver and even fit the barrel to that.

I did not have him ream the barrel, as it was for a special project, but I wanted a military stepped barrel look.

Jason

Baron von Trollwhack
03-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Hello. I have a new surplus, in the white, large ring 98 Mauser barrel in 7.65 Argentine. It is a rifle barrel, 29" long. I also have a new surplus carbine barrel for the large ring 98 in 7X57 that is 19 1/2" long. Advise by pm if you have an intrest in either. No sights of course. Regards, BvT

swheeler
03-16-2006, 12:08 AM
blslryr: L Walther. Pac-Nor, H McGowen all do fat 30 bbls and can match your contour, but it may be more moola than you want to spend!