PDA

View Full Version : Lubricatin' Question

August
03-01-2006, 01:32 PM
I have just set up an RCBS lubriciser that I got at a gun show a while back. I installed a .459 sizing die and the appropriate top punch. Put a couple of sticks of SPG down into the reservoir.

After a bit of height adjustment, I seem to be getting pretty good filling of the grooves on the 520 grain postel bullets that I've been playing with. The four grooves seem to be filling evenly, except for the bottom one -- the one nearest the base of the proojectile. This groove seems to be more messy (?) than the others. Also, and here's the reason for my question, I am getting quite a bit of lube on the base of the bullet. I'm having to wipe a glob off the base of each boolet as it comes out of the sizer.

What adjustment can I make that will eliminate, or reduce the amount of lube collecting on the bullet base????

Thanks for your help.

redneckdan
03-01-2006, 02:11 PM
you are over pressuring the lub reservior. Back down on the pressure and you should get good fill out with no lube on the bottom of the bullets.

9.3X62AL
03-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Just about every lube I've ever used flowed a lot more easily when warmed up--at least room temperature is a minimum. I don't use "heat lubes" per se, but this time of year--even in the People's Republic of California--things flow a lot better when I run a played-out blow-dryer on the lube reservoir and die collar areas for a short time. The need for over-pressure may just be due to the force needed to get cold lube moving.

Hope that helps.

Bullshop
03-01-2006, 04:10 PM
August
Like the others said back off the pressure a bit. Soft lubes like SPG will cause some problems there. If you run at a lower pressure, give the boolit a quarter turn after the first pass then give it a second pass things should clear right up for ya.
BIC/BS

floodgate
03-01-2006, 07:51 PM
August:

Also, in addition to the above, pull the handle down fairly smartly, and hold down pressure on it while the grooves fill, then lift it up smartly. That keeps the base of the boolit in firm contact with the ejector pin and minimizes "flow-under".

floodgate

D.Mack
03-01-2006, 09:21 PM
August You might also check to see if when the bullet bottoms out, is the base in front of a hole? This can also be a cause, if so , just adjust the stop up or down a little. DM

SharpsShooter
03-01-2006, 09:25 PM
All the above give good advice. Another option is to vent your ejector pin in the die. This is done by drilling a 3/32 diameter hole through the entire length of the ejector pin. It virtually eliminates the lube buildup on ther boolit's base. When lubing the larger boolits, I find that 2 passes through the die are usually required when you have the pressure about right. Increasing the pressure only sends the lube where you don't want it to go. Last but not least, be sure the base of the boolit doesn't have a protruding sprue cut. That will hold the boolit up off the ejector pin and let lube under.

Bass Ackward
03-01-2006, 09:36 PM
Auggy,

If you have a sizer die that has holes the entire length of the die body, you may want to use some shot and fill all the holes except for the top row. Just use shot that is a little larger than the hole. Tap it most of the way with a hammer but don't go past the diameter. Otherwise, the pressure might force it in.

This way, your grooves will fill from the top as you come up and the pressure will be down for the bottom groove and the base as they pass. Sometimes, this is the only cure if you use a fairly soft lube.

But if you only have one row of holes, then all the above advice is your only option.