PDA

View Full Version : Furnace Recomendations?

FastFred
05-09-2009, 12:34 PM
If any of you guys saw my last thread, here's the part 2:

I am using a propane plumbers furnace and an iron pot that holds about 15-20 lbs of lead. I need something bigger. I ordered and received a cast iron Dutch oven from ebay. It's about 8-10" in diameter. Problem is, with the steel rim on my plumbers furnace, the pot won't fit. If I remove the steel rim, the tines that the Dutch oven sits on are so close together, that it makes the dutch oven very easy to tip over - Not something I want to happen when it's full of 80 lbs of molten lead.

Unless someone here has an idea for modifying the plumbers furnace, I think I'd like to look into buying a propane turkey fryer. Could you guys please recommend a good, strong fryer that would suit my needs?

1z-bar
05-09-2009, 01:17 PM
I use a turkey fryer base. You might be able to find some at garage sales:D . I had a little problem with mine after I got over 100# in it was a little wobbley so I welded a few supports on it. It works great now:-D

jsizemore
05-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Have you thought about building a base that will fit over the plumbers furnace but sized to hold the dutch oven. My turkey fryer is a ring of steel that by luck is the same diameter as my dutch oven and is 6" deep so it acts as a wind shield. There's 1/2" round stock welded across the top to allow the heat to flow up the sides of the dutch oven. There are 3 legs made out of 1" flat bar bent and bolted to the ring that acts as the wind shield and the base that is round and slight larger in diameter then a 5 gallon bucket. The legs are 22" high. You can look at www.agrisupply.com at the carolina cookers to get a picture of one. Good luck

high standard 40
05-09-2009, 02:17 PM
You can also use a grinder or a cutoff wheel and remove the tines on the pot so it will sit flat. I have seen others do this.

FastFred
05-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Is anyone familiar with this stove? Is it stong enough to handle a dutch oven full of molten lead?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220413702658&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Sven
05-18-2009, 12:53 AM
Is anyone familiar with this stove? Is it stong enough to handle a dutch oven full of molten lead?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220413702658&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Ya, I'm wondering da same ting. I've been using my old Coleman white gas stove and am ready to move up to bigger and better.

Springfield
05-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Most Turkey Fryers have a high pressure valve, that has a low pressure one. Just get a turkey fryer, you won't be sorry.

Slow Elk 45/70
05-18-2009, 01:21 AM
+1 Grind off the tines on the pot , go by a steel fab shop have them take a piece of steel plate [ 3/8"] works fine, and cut a round off a piece of steel pipe that will fit the top of the plumbers pot and one to fit the dutch oven , weld them to the plate. You can leave it long to make a skirt to deflect wind.

I know , to much trouble and I would agree. I have modified a couple of these old plumbers furnaces and they work great. There are a lot of ways to get the coon...no pun intended:[smilie=1

If you want a turkey fryer, you should be able to find one for $70-80 most places.

:r:cbpour:[smilie=l:edneck:

finishman2000
05-18-2009, 04:23 AM
I have the exact one that you guys are looking for on ebay. Got it from a gent here who sold me his lead and threw in this burner. I use a large dutch oven with the legs cut off and ground flush. Works well but not as fast as i would like.
I kinda throw the ww in as i sort them, it is melting from the bottom of coarse, but at some point i will fill the pot up 3/4 with ww before it is all melted. ay that point i will hit it with my cutting torch to "speed it up". at that point it will be ready to pour in a couple of seconds lol.

Crash_Corrigan
05-18-2009, 05:27 AM
OK on the propane weed burner but watch out for zinc WW's. Ya gotta keep the temp less then 735 or so and if using a torch you lose control of the temps!

Zince will melt at 750+ or so and using a weed burner may exceed the temps. Bad news

kbstenberg
05-18-2009, 07:00 AM
I use an old Weber grill. Pull the bottom great out bend the ears up that hold the great or cut them off cut a hole in the center bottom of the base to fit whatever type of propane heater. I used a Coleman fish house heater 10000 btu let the pot sit on the heater at the bottom of the pot. Use the weber grill cover to hold in the heat
The legs of the grill aren't strong enough to hold the weight i need. So i then mounted the Kettle in an old Wheel rim. Nice flat bottom so i can set it on any flat surface so long as i can snake the hose from the tank by.
Next proj. build a rolling stand so i can roll it in an out of the Pole barn