PDA

View Full Version : lead exposure

delmar
05-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Is lead exposure much of a problem when reloading. If not why not? What needs to be disposed of as hazardous waste? Primers? Tumble media? Any solution that you clean your cases or media with? Flux?

Pepe Ray
05-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Don't listen to the alarmists!!
Keep it simple and in moderation. Lead, in and of itself, is not harmful. It's the chemical combinations that are harmful. Lead Stafnate as found in primers, will contaminate the air in an indoor shooting range.
In casting, the part requiring the most caution is when processing (smelting) the junk/salvage into clean ingots. Wheel wgts, plumbing, roofing, insulation, mechanical, --no matter where it comes from, other than a foundry, you will find it contaminated with garbage, human waste, needles and razor blades. Any lead weathered (that is, exposed to sun,rain etc,) will have a coat of fine white powder that may come off while handling. This is lead oxide. Don't eat or inhale this. It will accumulate in your system. Makes you stupid.
Follow the simple rules.
Don't smoke or eat while loading or casting. Keep your work area reasonable clean. Wash your hands ,before doing ANYTHING else. If you use a smokey flux you'll want an exhaust system.
Oh yes, KEEP CHILDREN AND PETS OUT OF THE CASTING AREA, ALWAYS!!
Pepe Ray

Kraschenbirn
05-09-2009, 02:14 PM
+1 on everything Pepe Ray said. If you're really concerned, get your blood tested for the current lead level and then have it retested periodically. I've been getting mine checked as part of my annual physical for several years and it's remained constant within +/- a couple of points even though I cast a lot more (3X? 4X?) since I took up shooting BP cartridge guns and casting for my old milsurps.

Bill

delmar
05-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Don't listen to the alarmists!!
Keep it simple and in moderation. Lead, in and of itself, is not harmful. It's the chemical combinations that are harmful. Lead Stafnate as found in primers, will contaminate the air in an indoor shooting range.
In casting, the part requiring the most caution is when processing (smelting) the junk/salvage into clean ingots. Wheel wgts, plumbing, roofing, insulation, mechanical, --no matter where it comes from, other than a foundry, you will find it contaminated with garbage, human waste, needles and razor blades. Any lead weathered (that is, exposed to sun,rain etc,) will have a coat of fine white powder that may come off while handling. This is lead oxide. Don't eat or inhale this. It will accumulate in your system. Makes you stupid.
Follow the simple rules.
Don't smoke or eat while loading or casting. Keep your work area reasonable clean. Wash your hands ,before doing ANYTHING else. If you use a smokey flux you'll want an exhaust system.
Oh yes, KEEP CHILDREN AND PETS OUT OF THE CASTING AREA, ALWAYS!!
Pepe Ray

Thanks for the response Pepe Ray! I don't have much interest in listening to alarmists except to find out what reasonable precautions are.i haven't done any casting so far but I have played around a bit with recycling and reloading spent primers (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=50383&page=3) I do want to make sure that I am handling the junk that I clean out of those safely, and make sure that I get rid of it in a safe manner.

1hole
05-09-2009, 03:12 PM
"..i haven't done any casting so far but I have played around a bit with recycling and reloading spent primers..."

1. Don't lick your finders clean after handing lead or reloading.

2. Don't fire primers in a paper sack and then "huff" the dust.

Avoid those two rules and all will be well. Really.

delmar
05-09-2009, 03:20 PM
"..i haven't done any casting so far but I have played around a bit with recycling and reloading spent primers..."

1. Don't lick your finders clean after handing lead or reloading.

2. Don't fire primers in a paper sack and then "huff" the dust.

Avoid those two rules and all will be well. Really.

I'm pretty sure I can do that.:-D

lathesmith
05-09-2009, 11:26 PM
We all used to get more lead exposure from sitting in a traffic jam while driving our cars that burned leaded gasoline than we will ever likely be exposed to during routine reloading. Really!
lathesmith

stubshaft
05-09-2009, 11:58 PM
We all used to get more lead exposure from sitting in a traffic jam while driving our cars that burned leaded gasoline than we will ever likely be exposed to during routine reloading. Really!
lathesmith

There you go using common sense and science again.:kidding:

Pepe Ray
05-10-2009, 12:54 AM
Regarding disposal of hazardous wastes.
The rules for such are based on the volume you dispose of. the "Home owner or "domestic use" quantity allowed is more than adequate for we hobbyists.
Commercial limits are quite a bit more. I won't try to quote, from memory, the exact numbers but a friend of mine works in the enforcement branch of DEP and gave me the figures a while back. I've reclaimed thousands of lbs of salvaged lead and never got to my legal limit.
You can always call them for details.
Pepe Ray