PDA

View Full Version : Gas Check Annealing

BABore
03-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Is there any other benefit to annealing gas checks beyond the reduction of spring back and grip to the shank? I'm talking things like pressures, accuracy, leading reduction, etc.

Char-Gar
03-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Annealed gas checks also require less force to seat and crimp them, which means less possibility of deforming tall skinny bullets. Other than that and the ones you mention, I know no other benefits.

imashooter2
03-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Hornady checks were very difficult to get on the shanks of the group buy C358-180RF. On the advice of one of our members I annealed the checks using the pipe in the fireplace method. I have to tell you I was pretty skeptical, but to my surprise annealed checks snap right on.

NVcurmudgeon
03-01-2006, 04:37 PM
I have a few moulds that require annealed checks to fit properly. Sometimes a mould will have too small a GC shank so the check fits loosely. Annealing will eliminate springback and make the GC fit tight. Other times, the mould has too large a GC shank and it's hard to start the GC without shaving lead. Anneal the checks and open them up with a homemade punch and they will go on easily and fit tight when sized. There you have it, opposite problems solved with the same method! No pressure problems to report here, but I load mostly 1400-1800 fps. Accuracy remains excellent whether annealed or not.