PDA

View Full Version : NECGS Peep Sight on Ruger #1/

Gray Fox
05-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Has anyone tried the peep sight for the Ruger #1 made by New England Custom Gun Services? I have a .45-70, stainless, laminated stock that I'm interested in trying one on. I have scoped it, but the balance is way off for just prowling logging roads amongst the southern pines or in the Appalacian foothills. A long shot would be 100 yards, and it seems this sight might just work. Also, is there any other aperture sight that will work on this rifle without extensive modification? Thanks, GF

mellonhead
05-08-2009, 05:29 PM
I have one on my 45-70. It is the stainless model like yours. I really like the way it handles with this sight on it. The only problem I can see is the appeture size. With the sight farther from the eye than normal peep sights you will need the the large appeture in it. I have shot a few 1"@ 75 yards groups with this sight. I think you will like it.

Toby

Ben
05-08-2009, 05:48 PM
I've looked at pictures of the rec. sight, it really looks like a quality piece of hardware. I do believe you'd like it.

45-70marlin
05-08-2009, 07:42 PM
I have one and like it very much.

Gray Fox
05-08-2009, 08:18 PM
For you folks that have one, were you able to use the factory front sight or did you have to replace it? GF

HEAD0001
05-08-2009, 11:53 PM
I have a couple of them for different rifles. Including the one for the Ruger. The sight is top quality. However I did have to change the front sight. But then I always change the front sight on rifles. Tom.

pietro
05-09-2009, 10:08 AM
I've bought several NECG peep sights, some Ruger-type and some .22 rimfire-groove type - so have a little experience in using them.

THey are higher than side-mounted or tang peep sights, actually sitting atop the action somewhat like the XS/WGRS/Skinner - which raises the rifle's line-of-sight, ergo requiring a higher front sight blade. A good time to also change to a preferred material (Ivory bead/fibre optic/etc), as posted above.

They are a quality-made sight, however their Germanic/blocky styling is not to everyone's taste.

The apertures are interchangeable with Williams Apertures (I use a Williams Twilight in my Ruger sight) - but there are a few things to be aware of, regarding the aperture insert.
1) The aperture insert is the lock for the vertical adjustment, when it's tightened - so a very short-shanked insert may be limited by the sight body from seating it's threads for locking, and there's no such thing as removing the aperture/shooting through the resulting "ghost ring" (as on other peeps), w/o work to the sight body (see below).
2) Any aperture's I.D. can only be reamed out a little, before the sides of the sight body start to impinge upon the sides of the sight picture. The only cure for this, and/or to use a "ghost ring" would be to have a machinist line bore the sight body to relieve the sides enough to clear the sides of the enlarged sight picture.

I bought mine because they are an elegant and relatively easy (shadetree mechanic fix) solution to a sight modification problem.

There are other Williams receiver peeps that can specifically be used for the Ruger #1 - but require that either the side of the receiver or the side of the rib be D/T'd for installation.

Gray Fox
05-09-2009, 12:04 PM
OK, since it's a given that I'll have replace the front sight, a fiber optic one would be a good option, where is the easiest place to get one? Brownells? Pietro, do you recall what height sight is required? Thanks, GF

9.3X62AL
05-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Gray Fox, I have the NECG sight on my Ruger #1 x 45-70, and can use the "stock" front sight blades to 300 yards with 405 grain boolits running 1300 FPS. Ruger has 3 front sight heights that I'm aware of that fit into the dovetail/spring detent at the front sight ramp. The rear sight sits a little farther forward than a lot of aperture sight systems, but it is quite usable for hunting and informal target work.

45-70marlin
05-09-2009, 08:14 PM
I didnt have to change my front site on my 45-70 no.1.

mellonhead
05-09-2009, 08:38 PM
I did not need to change the front sight on my 45-70 either.

Toby

pietro
05-10-2009, 02:42 AM
It could be that the .45-70's don't need a front sight height change, due to the boolit weights involved - but the #1's I put the NECG on were a .30-06 & a .338, which both needed a higher sight to achieve zero.

I would also suspect different shooter's front sight pictures would also come into play, regarding POI.

The only maker, I've seen, for fibre-optic #1 replacement front sight blades is NECG.

HEAD0001
05-10-2009, 04:02 AM
Mine was in 45-70, and I had to change the front sight.

You might like fiber optic sights but I would never put one on a rifle. Especially on a good looking Ruger #1.

Personally I do not like the fiber optic sights. But the biggest reason for me is their flimsiness. I have seen several of them break. Tom.