PDA

View Full Version : Federal Rifle Brass ?

monadnock#5
05-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Match shooters in this area are down on Federal rifle brass. The consensus seems to be that the primers pockets loosen up after one or two reloads to the point that they will pop a fired primer into the action at a critical point.

Fair rap or bad rap?

And in that vein, I saw a tool advertised in the Midway catalog designed for tightening loose primer pockets. Gimmick or a good thing? We can't spend our money too wisely these days.

dubber123
05-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I dunno, I prefer Federal for "common" brass. It's not Norma or Lapua, but it doesn't cost like Norma or Lapua. I notice MANY of the smallest groups fired in tests are shot with Federal. Their .308 Match, and .45 ACP Match are usually at the top. They must be doing something right. I have never noticed the primer pocket thing, maybe they load hotter than me?

BPCR Bill
05-08-2009, 02:04 PM
I haven't heard that one before. I've got alot of Federal brass (30-'06. 22-250)and it's never given me any problems, reloaded perhaps up to 10 times so far. One practice that a match shooter will do is seat his boolit out quite aways to be barely off the rifling in the throat, and this can increase chamber pressures quite abit. This will loosen primer pockets in a hurry if not on the first firing. Match rifles can have a "Tight Chamber", not uncommon since alot of match rifles are custom jobs with custom made reamers. That being said, I have enlarged a few primer pockets on loading for my last wildcat cartridge, a 257 Ackley Improved. Seems IMR4350 wasn't a suitable powder for that caliber! Not only did the primer pockets expand, the bolt was a real tough one to open.
One other thought, maybe a few lots of brass came out too soft. If there is easy bolt opening, then maybe the brass is just too soft.
I've never had the occasion to purchase this primer pocket tool you speak of, but maybe I'll look into it. Heck, I've got enough reloading tools that I rarely use, but are nice to have.

Regards,
Bill

monadnock#5
05-08-2009, 06:04 PM
+1 on the rarely used but nice to have reloading tools. I've dented a bunch, but never broken a case in the sizing die. I'm ready for when it does happen though.

StarMetal
05-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I woudn't haul Federal rifle brass to the dump if I had a tractor trailer load. I've had the same experience as the original poster in ALL the once fired Federal I've owned and shot which is 30-06, 270, and 243. I got loose primer pockets after the first factory firing, no matter what brand primer I use. Now on the other hand their pistol brass is some of the best I've ever owned.

Joe

anachronism
05-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Federal brass is notorious in certain circles for loosening the primer pockets. I have a couple of thousand Federal 223 cases that I bought before I found out about this. All of my AR15s have bolts with flamecutting from gas escaping around the primers. I suspect that this is one of the reasons Federal crimps the primers in their Gold Medal 223s, to keep the primer in, and prevent gas from torching rifle bolts. I tried to sell my remaining once-fired Federal 223s a couple of years ago, but found no takers. I fee it on the auction sites, and Federal 223 brass always brings the lowest prices. I bought a Case Saver, just so I could tighten the primer pockets & get normal function from my Federal brass. I do agree that their handgun brass is some of the finest available.

BPCR Bill
05-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Sounds like I should be staying away from Federal. The Fed brass I have is probably 20 years old and I've never had a problem with it. Then again, I have alot of Remington, Norma, and Winchester brass, so the cases I have don't see alot of reloading over the years.

Regards,
Bill

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
05-09-2009, 01:57 AM
I have a supply of old Federal brass and havent had any problems. I also have about 4 cases of 300 WM Lapua brass that I am banking. Bought it at a Estate sale for not much and had no clue what it was worth.

shotman
05-09-2009, 04:24 AM
I will go with the large pockets also If you look at most Fed brass the flash hole is larger than other brass. I will guess that a lot to do with it. I started to look at why 45Lc brass pockets were loose on the fed brass. I found the flash hole was 1/2 again larger. It may be an idea for good inigiton but you have seen the berdin primed stuff with one tiny pin hole and they fire ok.. I tend to like rem to load they allways have a burr inside and the remmer cuts brass all the time.

NuJudge
05-09-2009, 06:23 AM
I've had terrible trouble with .223 Federal brass, mostly primer pockets loosening and getting shallower.

I have a lot of .308 Federal brass I got for free. I've had to use a Small Base die on it, which I've never had do do with any other .308 brass. I've only reloaded a little of it once, so I have no data on primer pockets beyond the first and second firing.

There are people on the National Match board who are talking about the .223 problem having been fixed, but I'm a skeptic.

CDD

GrizzLeeBear
05-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Don't know about other calibers, but I know Highpower shooters avoid Federal .223 brass. I have seen a post somewhere that someone actually sectioned several .223 brass. The Federals were visably thinner in the web than other brands. Which is what leads to the primer pockets loosening quickly.
If you got some free that you know are only fired once (pick ups from a police range, etc.) you could load them with a mid range load, shoot them once and then pitch them. But I wouldn't reload them more than once. If you have to buy them, I would go with another brand.

MtGun44
05-09-2009, 11:17 PM
I have a lot of Fed .223 brass that has been fired at least 4 times by me, no probs. It
was purchased about 12 yrs ago, so may not relate to current production. I have lots
of GM Match brass in .308, works extremely well, very accurate, also 10-12 yrs old, mostly.

Bill

August
05-11-2009, 05:21 AM
I don't care for Federal .223 because it is shorter than minimum trim-to dimension -- the only brass I've encountered with this issue.

I don't care for 45-70 federal brass because it is heavy (i.e. thick) and therefore a problem in precision bullet seating and crimping. Also, it is hard and, therefore, comparatively brittle (i.e. cases don't last long).

All in all, I like Winchester brass the best. Too bad they've started dropping some calibers from their production (i.e. 38-40).

Bret4207
05-11-2009, 07:59 AM
I'm still using Federal brass that's at least 20 years old. Never had any issues at all.

BD
05-11-2009, 08:17 AM
The Federal "American Eagle" .223 brass is junk. One reload with the 77 grainers and the primers fall right out. The piece I cut lengthwise looked like it had 2/3 the case head of a piece of Lake City.

It could be that they have two levels of brass quality, the cheapo stuff being the American Eagle, just as they seem to have two levels of .22 rimfire, the cheapo stuff being the Walmart 550 packs.
BD