PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a S&W 625

Pepe Ray
05-08-2009, 12:44 PM
The intent of the proposed mod is to lighten the revolver, similar to the Mountain Rev. version. w/o spending more money.

Has anyone reduced the bbl profile by hand work or other means?
TIA
Pepe Ray

dubber123
05-08-2009, 01:56 PM
The cost thing is the sticker. I was going to suggest just scaring up a 625 Mountain Gun barrel and swapping. I have both, and there is a chunk of difference. The lug would be easy to make go away, tapering the barrel, not so much.

anachronism
05-08-2009, 02:04 PM
I suppose you could take a dremel tool to it. It would likely look like hell, but if cost is your only concern, then this is probably your only option. Since the barrels not round, turnint i on a late is out. Besides, machine work costs money.

Pepe Ray
05-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Sooo-
IYO, as long as I was accepting of a cylindrical bbl, the lug removal should pose no problems?
Anyone care to speculate on how much weight would be removed?
Pepe Ray

leftiye
05-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Depending on barrel length, it would vary. I'd say removing the lug would be the way to go, and should have a pretty good impact on weight. The .45 cal barrels aren't really heavy what with that large bore. Sounds tacky, but if you're careful, you can do it with a hacksaw and a file. If you bugger it up, then you can buy the Mtn. pistol barrel.

softpoint
05-08-2009, 04:20 PM
I have a 4" 625, and a 4" 629mountain gun. According to my Lyman trigger pull scale, they weigh the same!, 625 has shorter cylinder, bigger holes everywhere. A.45 colt mountain gun would be a bit lighter, a 45 ACP mountain gun the lightest. Someone told me a couple years ago that you could send a regular 625 back to Smith, and they'd put a Mountain gun barrel in it for you .But...$$$. :drinks::mrgreen:

slughammer
05-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I did this 681 about 15 years ago. The lug on the bottom was taken flat with a vertical mill and then the profile made round with a file.

only1asterisk
05-08-2009, 07:44 PM
I did this 681 about 15 years ago. The lug on the bottom was taken flat with a vertical mill and then the profile made round with a file.

That would be my method. Mill the lug off and cut flats in the side of the barrel.

Pepe Ray
05-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Slughammer;
It appears in the photo, that you left a lot of the rib. If true, why? Extra caution?
Pepe Ray

slughammer
05-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Slughammer;
It appears in the photo, that you left a lot of the rib. If true, why? Extra caution?
Pepe Ray

Hmm? 15 years.... I think you need to remove the plunger and the spring and see how deep that hole is drilled. Most likely I didn't want to break into that. Plus I probably left it a little fat to make sure it cleaned up; once it did, I stopped cutting. (It is a 4" barrel, so I probably only took an inch off the lug.)

theperfessor
05-08-2009, 09:48 PM
If you just wanted to lighten it w/o changing the profile or exterior dimensions, you could always get somebody with an accurate milling machine to drill a hole in the shroud parallel to the barrel axis. Thread the end and get a short socket head screw to cap it. That way you could carry it light or fill it with lead shot for steady shooting.

I wonder why nobody has offered a modification of a co-axial laser mounted in the shroud of a 625? They put lasers in guide rods for semi auto pistols.

jhrosier
05-08-2009, 10:04 PM
You could try this approach:

http://images17.fotki.com/v349/photos/5/590147/2786028/pc686p2-vi.jpg

A steady hand and a good eye might pull this off with a belt sander.

A milling machine would make it a lot easier.

This is a 6" barrel on a "special order" 686. The barrel is the same one used on the PC 627. It weighs about the same as a 4" heavy barrel, but has a much better sight radius.

Jack

AKtinman
05-08-2009, 11:50 PM
I bought a 625 Mountain Gun barrel from S&W for $130 a few years ago and had it installed on my 5" 625 ACP. S&W may or may not have any of these left. If you are interested, it would be worth a phone call.

A guy on the Smith & Wesson Forum slimmed down a SS full lug gun with hacksaw and files and showed photos of what he had done by hand, so it can be done, even if you don't have access to a mill, etc.

Good luck on your project.

Murphy
05-09-2009, 01:17 AM
If all else fails and you have to have the Mountain Gun profile, here ya' go.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=836558

Murphy

HeavyMetal
05-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Dealing with a 4 inch gun I don't think you'd get a whole ounce if you took off the lug. More if you had a 5 or 6 inch barrel.

Putting the entire gun on a diet is the way to reduce weight.

Wood grips my be heavier than rubber, reduce the barrel profile a good start including removing rib material and as much lug as possible. Here's a thought you don't need an ejector shroud just the locking pin. Make it look like a model 10! Drilling small holes in the trigger guard and frame ( where it's covered by the grips) and removing metal from both the trigger and the hammer will all reduce the weight.

Depending on the gun you may be able to get as much as 3 to 4 ounce's off the pistol if you put your mind to it.

Pepe Ray
05-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Well now---that's a lot to chew on.
Thanks guys. I appreciate your responses and consideration.
Options and choices.
Pepe Ray

Catshooter
05-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Pepe,

I'm thinking you're not big on machining skills/tools since you need to ask this question. No offense intended, but if that's the case, then you want slow metal removal.

A milling machine is great for this sort of thing as it can be very slow if you want it to be.

A large file will also work. Don't be put off by one; they're alot of work but it's not that easy to go too far with one.

If you're really determined, I bet you could get five to six ounces off of your 625, which would be very noticeable.

Good luck!

Cat

Pepe Ray
05-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks Cats---r;
Your correct in that I've little or none power machinery. I modified a 1917 Eddystone receiver to a Rem. M30 config. using a 10"mill bastard and a Cerrosafe template and Prussian Blue. Slow and easy is the watchword.
This is one of those "rountoits I've been hoping for but have some other commitments to complete first. It's been a bad , depressing winter for me. The spring sun and rain is bringing out the dandelion greens along with my ambition. Need a KITA to get started.
Thanks again.
Pepe Ray

leftiye
05-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Pepe, I commiserate with you about the winter. I've been sick since September with a dry cough ( and flu). Turns out it is the medicine my doctor has me on - another reason to wonder why I go there.

Pepe Ray
05-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Leftiye;
Would that have been LISINOPRIL?

anachronism
05-10-2009, 07:10 PM
If you remove the lug completely, you'll need to add a ball lock on the crane because you will lose your front lockup. I'd probably put a double ball lock in out of respect to the caliber.