PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500 gas check seating

TREERAT
05-08-2009, 10:01 AM
I am still learning how to use my 4500, works perfect for about 10 bollits then it pukes lube up through the die, to much preasure or to much heat?

I ordered a gas check mold, and have the gas check adapter for the 4500. what usualy works better, instal checks and lube latter or try to do both at the same time, in and out with the adapter for each bollit? how do you do it?

Tn_River_Ratt
05-08-2009, 10:36 AM
What kind of lube? Too much pressure? Maybe Heat? Doubt it.

Install checks and lube at the same time.

Larry Gibson
05-08-2009, 11:11 AM
TREERAT

"I am still learning how to use my 4500, works perfect for about 10 bollits then it pukes lube up through the die, to much preasure or to much heat?"

To much pressure and not holding the bullet down (doesn't have to be hard but should hold the bullet solidly against the die ram [I die]. Also adjust the stop up or down slightly so the lube holes in the H die are not aligned with the base of the bullet and the ram.

"I ordered a gas check mold, and have the gas check adapter for the 4500. what usualy works better, instal checks and lube latter or try to do both at the same time, in and out with the adapter for each bollit? how do you do it?"

If the GCs are a tight fit and do not bottom flat on the base of the GC shank with thumb pressure I seat the GCs first and then size/lube them. If the GCs are a slip fit and bottom on the GC shank I will seat/size/lube in one operation.

Larry Gibson

TREERAT
05-08-2009, 02:19 PM
I am using carnuba red.

let me ask if my meathod is right: plug heater in for about 20-30 min before sizing. sizer is in house at room temp when unpluged, around 70 deg.
turn screw til light preasure is felt, place boollit in die and pull down handle, keeping light preasure on handle then give screw about 1/8 turn for preasure to fill grooves, then raise handle to eject boollit, then repeat. does this sound right? should I be adding a small amount of preasure with each boollit or only every two or three boolits?

kevin45acp
05-08-2009, 03:06 PM
it pukes lube up through the die, to much preasure or to much heat?

And what does the above mean??? around the die body??? around the bullet nose??? out the bottom???

454PB
05-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Depending on the number and size of the lube grooves, you should be able to lube more than one boolit per pressure increase. For instance, when I size and lube the Lyman 429244 (1 rather small lube groove), I can do about 4 boolits before I have to crank the pressure screw handle. If the sizer and lube are cool, it may take more pressure.

Assuming the boolit is larger than the sizing die, too warm and/or too much pressure causes the problem you are having. If you are putting .430" boolits through a .432" die, it's going to leak.

TREERAT
05-08-2009, 05:11 PM
I have been playing around with my lube sizer, its a learning process! it seems to much heat is my problem. I tryed warming for 20 min. then unplug and size, when the preasure screw starts getting harder to turn, I plug back in for about 10 min. then go again. this has helped! I think I will try my desk lamp with 100 watt bulb directed at it after the initial warm up and see if that holds the heat about right.