PDA

View Full Version : well im getting a lock and load progressive today

Lloyd Smale
05-08-2009, 06:45 AM
dealer called and said its in. As most on here know im a dillon man through and through. I just couldnt pass on getting a 1000 free 308 bullets to feed the ar10. Im going to set this press up just in 223 and see if i can get use to it. Ive used them before and didnt care for the egronomics but im sure its just matter of getting used to it. If i like it another in 308 will come. I love my 550 but its kind of like loading in molasses after loading on a square deal.

Bret4207
05-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Mine is still in the box. No time, no time! I'll be interested in how it goes for you.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Lloyd,

I had a 550 once upon a time and the biggest thing to remember when changing over to a LnL is that it ISN"T a 550. It's design is different, it operates different and has different quirks than the 550. If you take your time, go slow and make sure to set up and adjust everything properly initially, you should have no problems.

I suggest you take your time and adjust the timing of the shell plate first, making sure it moves each half step from position to position with positive lock in. Once you do that, all the other items will be much easier to get running properly and the machine will run very smoothly.

Also, make sure the base for the primer feed is centered properly over the hole where the primers drop through. There is a little play and you need to center it before you lock the base down with a screw. Improper alignment there will cause the primers to have feed problems.

Take your time adjusting the powder through drop the first time and get used to it. Clean the preservative grease/oil thoroughly out of the base (looks like a die) and the powder measure as well. Then set it up with some patience. The design is very different from a Dillon, but works extremely well with most powders, even extruded powders like 4895. If you're patient with it, learn it like you did the 550 when you first got it, it will reward you with very accurate powder drops, even with the extruded powders.

Finally, don't forget Hornady has a technical support department you can call to ask questions to.

Regards,

Dave

blaser.306
05-08-2009, 08:24 AM
I've been loading on mine for three years now and absolutely love it . As far as I can tell they have nearly all the advantages of the dillon , but mutch easier to change calibers , all the way from pistol to belted magnums if you so desire . The one thing that I have even heard dillon operators make comment on is the fact that this press and it's half station advance is a real bonus especialy when loading for "highly energetic" loads for open guns asyou get no powder spillage when the table indexes . Also the fact that they come with a real powder measure you are not confined to what cartriges you can load by powder volume . Enjoy your loader I know I couldnt be without mine. Blaser!

Lloyd Smale
05-08-2009, 07:45 PM
the half rotation thing is one of the things i dont care for and will have to get use to. It makes it awkward to put bullets in for me as im just used to a full rotation. If it had a bullet feed it would make it much easier. Oh well i could tell you a couple things id like changed on the dillons too.

dromia
05-09-2009, 02:04 AM
Good luck with it Lloyd!

They are fine presses, well designed, made and work well.

As with all, teach yourself to use it and its as good, or in some ways better, as anything else out there in the same price range.

The LnL is comparable to the 650.

softpoint
05-09-2009, 08:12 AM
I have too many presses already, but sometimes I wish I had a 5 station.:-D

August
05-09-2009, 09:13 AM
All in all, I'm very pleased with my LnL. I came over from the blue side, too. The LnL is a very straight-forward design, once you get used to it. The documentation that comes with the press is the worst I've ever seen. It's actually more cryptic and error filled than the chinese barbeque assembly instructions you get with the cheap grill at Walmart. Awful, and inexcusable. But, going slow and observing gets you there pretty quickly.

I don't like the half step advance either. Something is always half a station from where I expect it to be, and I've been using the press for two years now. There is no way that an LnL could ever produce the quantity of ammo that a square deal can knock out.

However, the LnL is amazingly versitile and the powder measure is the best of any I've used (Lyman, RCBS, Dillon, etc.). It is also very safe. The best feature is ease of recovery from mistakes/problems. The Dillon took forever to recover because of the station studs that have to come out. The LnL has that springy-thingy that is easy to use. It is also easy to repair when it goes sprong. I keep an extra one on hand, but have never had to use it.

All in all, I'd choose the LnL over the other ones.

I keep a cartridge retainer spring and a pair of pawls on hand as spares. I like to use Hornady Cleaner Lube on the base, beneath the shell plate.

GSPKurt
05-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Well, Lloyd, how do you like it?

Lloyd Smale
05-19-2009, 07:47 AM
I got it bolted up to the bench yesterday. It will be my only press for a while. It will be a bit before i can use it as finding a .223 shell plate is about impossible. I have to agree on the instructions though. the guy that wrote those should be keelhauled!

GSPKurt
05-19-2009, 10:28 AM
I couldn't find a #8 plate (9MM) anywhere, wound up ordering direct from Honady. I got it in less than a week, I believe. This was just 2-3 weeks ago.

GSPKurt
05-19-2009, 10:57 AM
If it had a bullet feed it would make it much easier.

What about a KISS bullet feeder?

KISS Feeder (http://www.ghostholster.com/bullet_feeder/bullet_feeder.html)

Just Duke
06-10-2009, 06:20 AM
What about a KISS bullet feeder?

KISS Feeder (http://www.ghostholster.com/bullet_feeder/bullet_feeder.html)

$15.00 worth the sewer pipe and micro switches.

jawjaboy
06-10-2009, 07:32 AM
I don't have a LnL Lloyd so I can't speak too much about them. I do know several folks that do have and use them. I've read nothing but praise from them for the PTX in the link below. Might be worth looking into. Just my 2 cents, FWIW. No affiliation on my part.

http://www.lnlptx.com/

lostchild0
06-10-2009, 12:14 PM
I have an old progressive ( not lnl ) I was told thst a Lee bullet feeder would fit on my press this is just a thought (might help might not but it works on mine ). Hope this helps. I'll see if I can find all the shell plates that came with mine and see if one of you can use one that I don't ( mine came with 7 plates ) I know that there are some that I don't use. Give me a chance to dig them out and we'll see if I can help anyone out.

Hardcast416taylor
06-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Lloyd, I know I sent you some .223 FMJ slugs as I`m sure other people did also. I could lend you my .223 shell plate for awhile if you really can`t find one. Heck, I might throw some brass in the deal too! Drop me a line with what you think. Glad you`re getting things back to a sense of normal again. Robert

Lloyd Smale
06-10-2009, 03:47 PM
thanks robert. I found a .223 shell plate. One of the guys on here found one at a local dealer for me. Ive got the second one set up in .308 right now and am about done with the rifle loading for the time being. I need to now switch gears and start casting so i can load some handgun ammo up.
Lloyd, I know I sent you some .223 FMJ slugs as I`m sure other people did also. I could lend you my .223 shell plate for awhile if you really can`t find one. Heck, I might throw some brass in the deal too! Drop me a line with what you think. Glad you`re getting things back to a sense of normal again. Robert