PDA

View Full Version : Trouble seating my boolits

clerkofkirk
02-28-2006, 10:23 PM
I have some boolits cast from wheelweights that came out .329 (Lee C329-205-1R). When I try to seat these bullets using my Lee 8x57 dies the crimping ring in the bullet seating die actualy seats the bullets... Apparently the aperture in the crimping ring is smaller than .329 and the bullets are hanging up in it and being pushed into the case by the ring. The same bullets run through a .323 Lee luber/sizer work normally. Is there anything I can do to use thes .329 bullets without sixing them down to .323? My bore diameter is .326. Thanks!

hyoder
02-28-2006, 10:57 PM
1. Have you tried running the seater plug down all the way and backing the die out to get the seating depth you need?

2. That's a fairly blunt nosed bullet and you may be able to substitute a pistol bullet seater plug and make that work.

clerkofkirk
02-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Hyoder, I thought of #1 but then I woudn't be able to crimp the bullet, right? Is that OK? I'm not sure how substituting a different seater plug will help. Can you explain?

clerkofkirk
02-28-2006, 11:38 PM
I think this is what I need to do...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=5193&highlight=bullet+seating

lovedogs
02-28-2006, 11:39 PM
You may have to seat and crimp in seperate operations, that's more accurate anyway. Good luck.

9.3X62AL
02-28-2006, 11:53 PM
C of K--

I have a similar problem with my 303 British cast boolits in the standard RCBS 303 British seater die. The bullet alignment sleeve inside the die--or the crimping radius--or both--won't allow the boolit to access the sleeve due to excessive boolit diameter/insufficient sleeve clearance.

The fixes are 1) have the sleeve reamed larger or 2) use a seater die with sufficient clearance "built in". My solution for the 303 British was to use an 8 x 57 seater die.

I don't crimp rifle cartridges unless there is a specific need to do so, as dictated by action/magazine type.

drinks
03-01-2006, 12:15 AM
C of K;
An 8x57 die set is too small to do what you want, 8x56 is .323"
If you get a Lee 8x56R die set, it should handle the bullets as it is for a .329" bullet.
Just use the seat and crimp die from the 8x56R set.
Don

StarMetal
03-01-2006, 12:30 AM
Yeah, they make rifle dies for jacketed bullets which usually are a smaller diameter then cast especially if you leave them fat for a fat bore in your rifle. They don't think of us cast reloaders and they should. After all they have cowboy bullet moulds and I think isn't RCBS has cowboy dies? Hell if it wasn't for cast bullet shooters like us there wouldn't be any cowboy shoots...don't they use all cast loads?

Joe

beagle
03-01-2006, 01:16 AM
I've run into a similar problem using .460 bullets in the .45/70 and .433 bullets in the .44 Mag.

There are two solutions:

1) Open the die to take the larger diameter cast bullet. This is a tricky operation and still maintail the crimping shoulder but can be done by a good machinist with a Sunnen grinder.

2) Seat to depth in a larger caliber die or use an extended seating screw to seat to the desired depth. Then "taper" crimp using the FL resizing die without the decapping rod.

#2 will work but #1 is more desireable as it takes less time and you don't wantto rig every batch of bullets.

Then, I'll ask the question...will the throat take a cartridge with the bullet sized that large?

My Super Blackhawk tightly chambers a cartridge loaded with a .433 bullet.

I know it's the in thing these days to use large diameter bullets to full the throat but sooner or later there has to be give and take somewhere./beagle

beagle
03-01-2006, 01:18 AM
Joe...yeah they do and very few of the ones that I know are bullet casters. They're too busy polishing their badges to cast bullets. Never seen so damn many sheriffs in my life when there's a cowboy shoot at the club./beagle

Yeah, they make rifle dies for jacketed bullets which usually are a smaller diameter then cast especially if you leave them fat for a fat bore in your rifle. They don't think of us cast reloaders and they should. After all they have cowboy bullet moulds and I think isn't RCBS has cowboy dies? Hell if it wasn't for cast bullet shooters like us there wouldn't be any cowboy shoots...don't they use all cast loads?

Joe

clerkofkirk
03-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Questions....

Lovedogs...What die do you use to crimp in a separate operation? Lee FCD?

Al... I will be shooting these rounds single shot style. Doe not crimping affect accuracy

Beagle...can you walk me through taper crimping with the FL die with decapping rod removed.

Thanks!

hyoder
03-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Pistol seating punches are normally shallower than rifle punches and may contact the bullet nose closer to the crimp shoulder. If you have Lee seating dies for pistol calibers close to the 8mm you can try that.

Most other manufacturers' seating punches cand be run down past the crimp shoulder. If you could borrow one of another mfgr. you could give it a try.

You'll need a second die to crimp in a separate operation. If you want to try this route I'd suggest getting a seating die of another mfgr. and use the Lee die to crimp.