PDA

View Full Version : Babbitt -WW and range lead mix ?

Wasilla
05-07-2009, 10:46 PM
I am just getting into casting but have been reloading since I was 17. Also been gathering lead since I was 17 thinking SOMEDAY I would pour my own. I have gathered up a fair selection of Lee molds and an old Codger I work with gave me a melt pot and a 70's vintage Idel lubrisizer. Now the question is I have WW lead, Lead Babbitt and range lead all smelted and poured into nice ingots but have not mixed them --YET, as I wanted to get all learned up before I commited the unthinkable. I am casting for velocities under say 1200 in 44,357 and 45-70 lever guns of the Marlin variety and revolvers in 357 and 44. I just like to plink and since the Sock Monkey took over, reloading components here are NOT TO BE FOUND! Any words of wisdom on the mixing ratios? No gas checks involved.

runfiverun
05-08-2009, 01:03 AM
depending on how much of what you have.
i like to put 4 parts ww's to one of range scrap.
if it fills out well good if not add 1% tin to the mix.

fredj338
05-08-2009, 03:47 AM
Here is a great source for a ll things casting related.
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
Depending on the babbit, it may not be castable for bullets.
http://www.rotometals.com/Babbit-Bearing-Alloys-s/2.htm

Wasilla
05-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Great links -- lots of good info. That ought to put me on the spin cycle for a while!
Thanks for your input.

JSnover
05-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Hit the Bullshop link down near the bottom of the page. He lives up there someplace.

Wasilla
05-08-2009, 10:48 PM
The Bull shop guy is in Delta. He brought me some of his Speed green bullet lube to the Fairbanks gun show a couple of weeks ago.

JSnover
05-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Good! He's cast a lot of boolits, probably could give you a lot of good recommendations based on personal experience

Gunslinger
05-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm currently shooting up a big batch of a similar alloy. It consists of rughly 80% range lead, 15% WWs and 5% lino. I added the lino a little at a time, making ingots and testing them for hardness and adding more lino if needed. It turned out pretty good. That probably has something to do with the big content of cast boolits in the range lead... MY cast.

If your range lead consists of mostly pure lead, I suggest trying 40% WWs, 40% range lead and 20% babbit for your applications. That should put you on the safe side for the velocities stated. Just make a small batch and try it out. It easy to correct a 20lbs mistake.

454PB
05-09-2009, 10:18 PM
The babbitt can be problematic. If you know for sure it's tin based, it's wonderful stuff. If it has a lot of copper in it and little tin, it can cause problems.

If it were mine, I'd do some small scale alloying with it before ruining a large batch of WW or range scrap alloy.