PDA

View Full Version : first time

kbstenberg
05-07-2009, 09:17 PM
After a month of searching repair/ tire shops i finally got some WW. An i didn't even get them. My wife picked them up. I had to make 2 contracts to the shop. Being so far from home. the wife had to go past the shop. So i called ahead hoping she mite get a hun. p. Was i delighted when i came home an she said she had 3 Hundred p.
So after supper i sorted them. Only 5 steel, i did find a lot of zinc all those weights with oz on them went out the door.
Couple of days i hope to have my first ingots.
I feel like a kid in a toy store

docone31
05-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Oz. does not mean zinc. Zn is zinc.
You might get those back in the door. Keep your melt temp at a minimum and ditch the floaters.
They might be all you ever get from this point.
I mix a little zinc in my melt. Works in the pistol, and paper patched loads. I could never get a rifle to fire lead, so I only paper patch that.

fredj338
05-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Opps, you threw out ounces of lead wts (maybe #s). You can do as docone31 suggests, but I like to to check suspect wts. w/ a pair of large wire cutters. If it can cut or crush, it's not zinc. YOU DO NOT want nayu zinc in your alloy. It casts horribly. Good score though. I love when I find a good/cheap stash of bullet lead.

kbstenberg
05-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Yes i do know oz. ounces. just wanted to see if anyone listens. lol

geargnasher
05-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Actually we "gotchoo", see, what we're not letting on is that "oz" actually means "ozonium" which is an ozone compound (ground level ozone, I believe due to the weight) in super-short supply due to CFCs and the unscrupulous manufacturing methods of certain wheel weight companies. To help save the enviroment it is nesessary to recover these types of wheel weights and process them so the ozone can be returned to the enviroment and we can all use less sunscreen. I happen to own a smelter which does just this and will be willing to do us all a great enviromental service by processing your sorted "oz" wheel weights for a minimum disposal fee :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: :kidding:

Gear

Slow Elk 45/70
05-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Har, Har, Har.....one good turn deserves another. Glad to see the wife is into taking care of you...Good Casting!!