PDA

View Full Version : Turk's new bolt handle

Junior1942
02-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Check it out guys: http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/m3824.jpg

Closeup: http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/m3825.jpg

The horn section looks bigger than it actually is due to being closer to the camera than the rifle.

The new handle is a 1/4" bolt soldered in a drilled hole. It works ok, but it was too much trouble. When I do Turk #2, I'm drilling and tapping the rifle bolt nub and installing a 1/4" bolt screwed in with some added J&B Weld to prevent it from coming loose. This new handle cost me 72 cents total.

Junior1942
02-28-2006, 06:03 PM
The Redfeld mount is Dremel tool altered so that the scope, set on
optical/mechanical zero/center, aligns as perfectly as possible with the
rifle bore. I stopped grinding when the crosshairs were maybe 6" high at
141 yards (my shooting gong centered in bore). When I do the final zero of the scope, it won't take but a few clicks.

The Redfield mount also has a thin coat of J&B Weld between it and the
barrel for a perfect fit.

Frank46
03-01-2006, 04:10 AM
Junior, well its safe to say that mount isn't going anywhere. Bolt handle came out pretty good. Frank

Junior1942
03-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Just got through zeroing the Turk with its new 3-9 scope mounted where scopes are supposed to mount. I zeroed it at an estimated 50 yards against my wood pile. The 185 gr Rem @ ~2250 fps muzzle velocity (low velocity) went all the way through a 6" chunk of semi-dry cedar and 2" all the way through the side of a chunk of semi-dry oak and is still going, maybe. I'll do more zeroing @ 100 and @ 175 yards when I get a rangefinder and know the target distance exactly.

I lost my front porch bench and front yard range. However, I gained a nephew and a great-nephew and a niece-in-law, so I'm happy about the loss.

I bet the 198 FMJ, needlenose, surplus Turkish round @ 2400 fps would go
all the way through an 18" green oak.

Blackwater
03-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Junior, you are TRULY a man of many resources, one who has adopted "improvise and overcome" as his central ethic. I admire that in a man, brother! Ya' done GOOD!