PDA

View Full Version : 30-30Results

robertbank
02-28-2006, 02:23 AM
Well the weather moderated a bit so I took my Win 94 out for a test run. I just got a Lyman 311041 mold so I cast about 100 boolits up. I got a couple of loads from guys on this forum. My Chrono needed a new battery so I was unable to Chrono the loads. Some idiot left the chrono on....

34 Gr H4831 under my GC boolit put two holes in the taget 1" a part at 100 yards using the open sights that come with the gun. I like this load a lot and will use it this fall on some Columbian Black tails that wonder around here.

10 Gr Unique resulted in a much lighter recoiling load and at 100 yards I found the boolit shooting lower than the former load. I want to do more with this loading as it has potential and a little warmer weather will allow me to make a better judgement on this load. I shot it last under deteriating weather.

I want to chrono these loads over the next week and do some more target shooting at different ranges to evaluate the loads more.

More later,

robertbank
02-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Well the weather was not much better, windy and cold but I did manage to get my chrono work done. The idiot put a new battery in the darn thing!

34 gr H 4831

Avg. Vel. 1,825 fps
Avg. Deviation 38
10 Rounds
Very accurate at 100 yards 1" Group of two.
I am using up a pound of this powder bought in error. Got load from D.O.K. Will load the rest of this powder up and use cartridges this summer on local deer once season opens.

10 Gr. Unique

Avg. vel. 1,454 fps
Avg. Dev. 11
10 rounds

This load I did not test for accuracy. Felt very light. will know better when weather improves and I can shoot without freezing my backside to the shooting chair! Based upon velocity looks like a winner for short ranges. This could be a winner on Queen Charlotte deer. They are very small and you can take lots of them. Season lasts for about six months. These deer are ferel deer introduced by the English mid 19th century, breed faster than rabbits on ******.

Stay Safe

felix
02-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Bob, that should be very close to a full case full of powder. If not, make it so, but don't put so much in the case that the powder is crushed. ... felix

Throckmorton
03-03-2006, 01:39 AM
I like that 10 grain unique load for pop can plinking at 50 yds. They are in grave danger at that distance with that load.:)