View Full Version : A well traveled #4

KCSO
02-27-2006, 10:36 PM
I picked up a #4 Mk1/2 Enfield on the cheap and since it had a super bore I thought I would tear it down and clean it up for a keeper. Now this gun has made the rounds. It is currently marked GRI 60 and was re furbished then, but the fore stock and nose cap are square S and the butt stock is S^A and under the wood the barrel is marked LSA. The rear sight is RFI and here is the kicker, under all the cosmo the right side of the stock is marked in pin pricks ULSTER. So here is an English,Irish, South African, American, Indian gun that came to the US of A through Florida (CIA) and then went to Oregon so it could be shipped to Nebraska.

Another interesting point is that inside the fore stock ahead of the Knox Form where the mid barrel pressure point should be is a flat metal spring fitted to give 10# approx pressure. The rest of the stock is free except for another shim that puts abut 3# on the end of the barrel. I am curious to see how this pup will shoot. If it does better than my #4 Faz I might have to keep it.

KCSO
03-03-2006, 03:37 PM
I fire formed 10 30-40 cases from the same lot and made up 10 rounds for each gun to see which was going to be the keeper. This was with my mid range load of 12.5 grains of Red Dot pushing a 185 Lee bullet sized .314. I was firing for group size and so I held center at 50 yards (My longest range in the spring thaw) and the winner is... My old South African (^ in U) wins again. This rifle has a 311 bore and the bore is mint. The gun has been bedded by somone who knew his stuff and the gun holds tight round groups.

KCSO
03-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Sorry I pushed the wrong button. Here is the group from the #4. This was with the battle sight and I am some anxious to find a Parker Hale 5C for this gun.

BruceB
03-03-2006, 04:42 PM
KCSO, pard;

There's a PH5DC for the #4 Rifle on Ebay right now. It doesn't seem to have the mounting screws, but I have an address where they can be obtained (for $20 or more!!!) It does have the adjustable-aperture eyepiece, with about six sizes of aperture available just by clicking the little disc around.

Just search for "parker hale", and there are 66 items, with the 5DC sight being down toward the bottom. I got my PH5C sight from an Ebay seller in Canada, and I'm very pleased with it. It cost me about $150, I believe.

One interesting item there is a straight-replacement adjustable rear sight which mounts using the issue sight pin and spring/plunger assembly. It's much less obtrusive than a 5C, and I'm sorta tempted.

Fine rifles, these #4s, and plenty of fun and history in the package.

KCSO
03-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Bruce
I appreciate the tip, but I am not an E bayer. I investigate at least 1 E bay fraud or identity theft a week and i just can't bring myself into that. I also object to funding a site that seems to be mostly anti gun. I will keep looking and i will find another parker Hale some day. I got my last one from Epps in the early 70's. I would like to see that replacment sight though, it sounds perfect. I see my group did not come through again it was 5 in 3/4" with 4 in one hole. I have been on Gov web sites signing up asa contractor and I am some fed up with the Gov and computers for today. I may try and post again tomorrow after some relief.