PDA

View Full Version : Alloy for lead shot

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi guys! I know this question has probably been answered 8,000 times but my searches yield no results. I am considering buying a shot maker and was wondering what alloy works best. I have about 500 pounds of WWs at the moment..but was wondering if I could mix that with a softer lead. Maybe 50/50?? I have no clue. Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!!

M-Tecs
05-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Straight WW’s are about as good as it gets. Alloy is very close to magnum shot. WW have arsenic which is required to get round shot.

Joel

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks a lot!

leadman
05-05-2009, 05:28 PM
I just started making shot and I found WW works well. I also have some reclaimed shot that I tried. Even though Magma told me it would not work it was much rounder and more consistent in size than WW.
I gave some WW and Reclaimed alloy shot to my buddy to try so in a couple of weeks I will know what I want to use for the long term.

crowbeaner
05-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I used 50/50 linotype and pure lead to make mine; 7.5% antimony is hard enough to break your teeth.

southpaw
05-05-2009, 08:20 PM
I have been using ww. they have been coming out pretty good, not perfect tho. I have not seen any difference from factory shot as far as performance. I broke a 90 on the sporting clays course with it the other day :-D:Fire:. that was a really good day Im usually around 85. I tried mixing 25 % lino in with the ww thinking that it would flow better and be rounder but all it did was come out shinnyer. It was definitely harder tho. I think that it may be better for larger shot for hunting.

Jerry Jr.

smkummer
05-21-2009, 08:24 AM
The shannon shotmaker that I have stated that some soft lead could be mixed with hard lead (wheel weights). I would try 1 soft to 2 hard at first. I have done this with no problems. I have not tried 50/50 because I have much more wheel weight than soft but if you had a way to test hardness than you could let us all know what you discovered.

leadman
05-25-2009, 03:28 AM
I did an informal test on shot made with straight WW and shot made from reclaimed lead shot.
As it is too small to put in my Saeco tester I used a pair of needle nose pliers. The WW shot was much harder to deform than the shot made from reclaimed lead shot.
My buddy who tested the 2 different alloys for me said that the two different alloys shot the same. He is a good shotgunner as he usually scores 24 out of 25 birds consistently.
I know it is not very scientific, but the results seem to be WW or reclaimed alloys shoot the same for my bud as factory.

southpaw
05-25-2009, 09:23 AM
You would have to pattern them to find out if there is any differance. I have not seen much differance on the patterning board or on the range. I shot a 96/100:-D on the trap the other day and they have been breaking birds very well for me on the sporting clays course. Most of my shot has been made of ww but I did try 25% lino. Save the hard stuff for hunting shot or boolits. I have had no problems breaking birds way out there with ww, as long as I do my part.

Now its your turn to send to lead down range:Fire:

Jerry Jr.

ps maybe just use the reclaimed shot as is?