PDA

View Full Version : Solder paste?

sheepdog
05-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Is this usable or worth messing with? I got a guy with a few hundred pounds in containers offering it pretty cheap.

docone31
05-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Once in a great, great while, I toss some flux in my melt. Not really sure why but I do.
I wouldn't get any unless it just feels right.
I use Kitty Litter. Works almost better than anything else I have used. Since I am only melting and not alloying, or soldering, it works the best for me.

sheepdog
05-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Most of this paste is 97% tin.

captaint
05-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Based on advice received here,I tried insulating the top of my melt with kitty litter - I'm really pleased. Workes like a charm. Can't say about the solder paste tho. Mike

sheepdog
05-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Whats the kitty liter do? Seems alot of kitty liter is different stuff.

Lee W
05-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Get it. It is mostly metal mixed into a "paste" with flux. A couple hundred pounds might be only three gallons.
Melt on a windy day as it will smoke a lot.

Le Loup Solitaire
05-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Probably will work ok, but stay away from anything that has Sal Amoniac- an agent that also fluxes. It works great but the fumes will rust the daylights out of anything and everything to include tools and anything else in the house/room that you don't want rusted. Theres lots of stuff that you can flux with that all work fine. +1 to kitty litter, wodden sticks, sawdust-oiled or not, candle wax, etc. If the area is well ventilate, smoke and smell can be dealt with. LLS