PDA

View Full Version : gas checks

bedwards
05-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm new to making gas checks. So far the material I have scrounged is .012 brass shim stock. When I made the first checks they formed without any problems except the rim of the cup has ridges in it. The base is flat as it should be. I assume these aren't usable with the ridges so... can I heat the brass to make it form smooth or is it just too hard or too thick?

be

dromia
05-05-2009, 05:23 PM
What tool are you using to make the GCs?

trevj
05-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Try seating a couple of the ridged ones, and seeing if the ridges stay. They may iron down, or not, depending how close the size matches the shank.

I've seen some pretty horrendous looking checks, made from pop cans mostly, that the guys that made them were happy enough with.

If they shoot....

I've been farting about with a check maker of my own cobbled together collection of other folks ideas. Have to get some forward motion back onto that project...

Cheers
Trev

RayinNH
05-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Are you talking that bottle cap look? They should be fine if they stay on after being sent through a sizing die. If they pull off use a drop of super glue on them...Ray

bedwards
05-05-2009, 09:17 PM
What tool are you using to make the GCs?

Its an original Free Chex

The ridges are evenly spaced just like the ridges along the edgo of a coke bottle cap. I was wondering if I could anneal this with heat and then it would form without the ridges.

RayinNH
05-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Sure, heat a strip of the brass to a dull red and let cool, or punch them out and anneal after but before forming the cups...Ray