PDA

View Full Version : Broken RCBS mold

nextone2
05-04-2009, 09:37 PM
I have an older RCBS mold with a problem. The stop pin for the spruce plate is broken off. Its broken off flush with the top of the mould. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

HeavyMetal
05-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Take off the handles and try to drive it down into the groove the handles fit into.

I'd tape the blocks together for this manuver and tap gently. If the pin is to long to fall out when driven in to the handle groove take a dremel with a reinforced cutting wheel and slice off a chunk to allow the rest to be pushed down and out.

Once removed it can be replaced by driving it in from the top. Usually 1/4 inch drill rod does the trick.

I refuse to take a cheap shot about not hammering sprue plates closed LOL:-D

nextone2
05-05-2009, 07:54 AM
I bought this mold broken. I also had a good look at this mold and other RCBS molds and I don't think the pin hole goes the entire way down into the handle grove.

Calamity Jake
05-05-2009, 08:25 AM
I bought this mold broken. I also had a good look at this mold and other RCBS molds and I don't think the pin hole goes the entire way down into the handle grove.

Send it back to RCBS, they will replace it.

Jaybird62
05-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Yes, RCBS will stand behind the mold, but get ready to wait. As expected, they've never experienced the volume of sales they're getting these days, so it's taking a long time to get repaired/replaced items back.

dominicfortune00
05-05-2009, 07:51 PM
You could drill and tap it for a thread size that will fit inside the pin.

Then use a long bolt in that thread size, a spacer such as a socket or short piece of 1/2 pipe, a washer, and a nut for the bolt.

Put the spacer over the pin, the nut then washer on the bolt, and thread into the pin through the spacer.

Turn the nut down to raise the bolt and pull the pin.

Good Luck!

monadnock#5
05-06-2009, 08:45 AM
I'd drill and tap it, screw a set screw into it, affix the appropriate adapter for a slide hammer and whale on the witch.

captaint
05-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Nex, I'd center punch it and drill it. With a drill press if possible. Soak it with Kroil too ahead of time. Good luck. Mike

Bret4207
05-07-2009, 07:34 AM
I'd remove it myself too. If you don;t have the capabilities, any good gunsmith or machine shop could do it. Really simple stuff compared to a lot of other machine/gun work.

JIMinPHX
05-07-2009, 08:39 PM
+1 on drill & tap it if it's not too hard. I'd drill it all the way through & use the tap as a jack screw to pry it out. I used to do that for removing pilot bushings when doing clutch jobs on jeeps.

runfiverun
05-07-2009, 09:57 PM
just bulid a deal like a stuck case remover.

GabbyM
05-07-2009, 11:48 PM
RCBS stop pins are knurled and pressed into a larger than pin diameter hole. So they actually will pull or push out with light tools. Lyman and Saeco pins are pressed into undersized holes and are pretty well set in place.

One option would be to drill a small hole from the bottom side. Then punch it out with a pin punch. Or a drill bit.

If the pin is soft enough to drill. Just drill it out to the size of a replacement pin and push in a new one.

You'll need a drill press for any option I can think of.

WHITETAIL
05-10-2009, 08:02 AM
nextone2, Welcome to the forum!:)

WHITETAIL
05-10-2009, 08:06 AM
As you can see, these guys and gals are great!
They have all kinds of answers to any problem.
I can't imagine any problem someone hasn't
had sometime or other.:coffee: