PDA

View Full Version : Are the C-H 3 and 4 station 'H' presses strong enough for case reforming?

RonF
05-04-2009, 07:51 PM
I've been looking into either a 3 or 4 station C-H 'H' press to use for reloading 7.5x55 bullets for an old 1896/11 Schmidt-Rubin that my father gave me. Recently, I remembered that .284 Win cases can be reformed into Swiss cases by running them through a full length sizer die. Does anyone out there have experience with reforming a case of this size with an 'H' press? Is it a bad idea given the cast aluminum alloy ram and tool head?

tackstrp
05-05-2009, 11:59 AM
i have a c&h press. for many years now. . there are no plastic or aluminum parts.
I have reszied many 338 mag cases over the year, just put in the back center spot.

i suggest you send Dave an email at dave@ch4d.com about your question. you will not see many C&H presses for sales. they last a lifetime.

Barstooler
05-05-2009, 11:39 PM
I bought my CH 3-station H-press in 1966 and have been using it ever since. Tried others, but kept coming back to the CH.

I broke the base during move and called CH and got a new base and they stayed on the phone to help me change it out.

To really answer your question....YES...you can reform brass with it. I made 256 Newton brass out of 30-06 brass for 30 years with my CH press.

Every time one of my friends decides to "get into reloading" I try to steer them to CH. It is as strong as a single stage press, less complicated than a progressive or turret press. And you can set it up to function like a single stage, or add dies and manually move the cases so every time you throw the handle you are producing a round....which is how I use it to reload handgun ammo.

Barstooler

RonF
05-06-2009, 12:15 AM
tackstrp and Barstooler,
Thanks so much for your replies. I must have been mistaken about the ram and tool head being aluminum, and I am relieved that they are not. I'm also also glad to know that these type presses are strong enough to reform brass, whereby preventing me from 'needing' a single stage press in addition to one of these beauties.

I'm kind of interested in the Titanium-Nitride coated expander balls that CH has available for their dies. The 7.5x55 dies that my dad gave me are CH (which lead me to research them in the first place), so when I finally get around to ordering from them, I'll look into getting one of their expander balls and maybe see if they think my old full length size die is able to be coated.

Thanks again,
Ron

tackstrp
05-10-2009, 08:32 PM
i also have a Hornady l n l fully progressive press, It is set up next to my trusy C H 444 pistol champ. Just cant bear to sell, I still use for short runs it is not worth while buying the Hornady $28 shell plate and setting up a powder charge. For example my 444 marlin

Couple tricks on the C&H pistol champ powder drop. You can buy one powder thru expander die about $20 then the insert to change to another caliber is $4.32 if i recall.

The Pistol champ powder bar hole is .625, I purchased a piece of solid aluminum bar which is .625 and drill out the center. I save a few dollars and get exactly what i want for a powder charge.

Another trick is the Lyman #55 powder dispenser sit just fine on top of the powder thru expander die. Which i use for rifle loads.