PDA

View Full Version : wth is with this day? i'm so aggravated right now

ENFIELD303
05-04-2009, 04:28 PM
yeah so, i'm decapping and trimming my cases and its just not looking good.

i'm doing .303 british right now and i'm running into to many problems.

problem one: while decapping i can not full length size all of my cases, some will size right down to the shoulder perfectly but most end up indenting at the shoulders. it looks like a blank crimp but at the shoulder, WTH?

problem two: i have a bunch of mixed brass from a bunch of other shooters from the net. now, my lyman says the safe minimum trim to length is 2.212 inch but some of the brass is sizing in as low as 2.208, how are these other shooters still alive firing these shorter cases?

i lubed 50 cases and after decapping i'm down to 12 usable cases, wth is going on here?

i am very ticked right now

SWIAFB
05-04-2009, 04:55 PM
ENFIELD303, sounds like way to much case lube. What with and how are you lubing the case's ? The wrinkled sholders will fire-form out so all are not lost.

skeet1
05-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Enfield 303,
I shoot the .303 also and if you want your cases to last longer and not have any lube dents try a Lee Collet neck sizing die. No lube is necessary and the cases last much longer. As to the length of the cases at 2.208", thats only .004" to short and will have no effect on anything.

Skeet1

Hang Fire
05-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Sounds like the classic boo boo of too much case lube.

3006guns
05-04-2009, 06:05 PM
If it's any consolation.....most of us are guilty of using too much lube and denting a few cases. I've made a few "rose crimps" myself then we learn how much is "just enough". Everyone has their favorites and I prefer Imperial sizing wax, just a trace and NONE on the shoulder. The Lee lube is pretty good too and cleans off with water. A touch of Lee on the inside of the case neck with a Q tip will make its trip over the expanding pin much easier too. Once it dries there will be no affect on the powder.

If those wrinkled shoulders aren't really bad they should reform upon firing.

uncle joe
05-04-2009, 06:08 PM
also check the bleed hole in the sizing die. Some of mine have a very small hole somewhere near the top third of the threads that should let air escape while you size. This won't cure the to much lube problem but it will help.

docone31
05-04-2009, 06:37 PM
I get that from time to time.
They will fireform. Use standard loading.
Clean the die inside it. I have had lube well up in an area and get quite large.
It comes out easily though.
Part of reloading.
I second the Lee Collet Dies. I use them with my .303 British and I get an amazing amount of reloads that way.

ENFIELD303
05-04-2009, 07:06 PM
TOO MUCH LUBE!!!!? I justy ate half a bottle of tums because i used too much lube?

what a b*tch lmao

i'll have to clam down with the lube, clean the die and not get so worked up[smilie=b:

i'm going to have to go with the neck die

by the way, does anybody think is is halarious :brokenima

thanks guys

docone31
05-04-2009, 07:24 PM
During this case shortage, I had ordered some .303 British cases. I had my collet dies ready, and case in hand, mangled at least half of the cases! This during a critical shortage!
It seems, the Collet dies do not really need lube with fireformed cases, but, brandy new, especially with a mandrel cut or paper patching, you gotta lube.
I got some lube for my castings and started smearing lightly.
Bingo!
Live and learn.
Really only funny decades later. Frustrating at best now.

longbow
05-04-2009, 08:00 PM
I just back off my full length sizing die so I only neck size and just about touch the shoulder. Works fine for me. Not saying the Lee collet die isn't good but that there are other ways if you already have a full length sizing die.

Also, short cases are not a danger especially only 0.004" short. Long cases can be a problem as they can be forced into the throat and cause high pressures.

If you are short of .303 brass they can be formed from .30-40 Krag which should be more available in the States. Assuming you are in the States.

Longbow

Stoats
05-05-2009, 04:19 AM
If you use the Lee die, letting it dry before sizing eliminates the dents, no matter how much you use. I started doing this recently and the denting problem went away. I just lube a batch and then size them all instead of doing them one by one.

Boz330
05-05-2009, 06:17 PM
If those cases were fired in guns other than yours they might need to be FL resized. No 2 of mine will accept cases fired in another gun without FL sizing.

Bob

Recluse
05-07-2009, 12:13 AM
TOO MUCH LUBE!!!!? I justy ate half a bottle of tums because i used too much lube?

i'll have to clam down with the lube, clean the die and not get so worked up[smilie=b:

i'm going to have to go with the neck die

by the way, does anybody think is is halarious :brokenima

thanks guys

Not really hilarious, but rather the reality of Intro To Reloading For Long Gun Cartridges.

I reckon most of us have done it--some of us are just more honest about it than others. :wink::wink:

I prefer the Lee Lube for about half my long gun calibers, and an OLD can of RCBS lube (that Madcaster gave me) for the other half. I use Imperial for straight wall cases.

ONCE YOU FIRE THE CASES, neck sizing only should be okay. I picked up a whole mess of .303 a guy at the range simply gave me--he doesn't reload and has zero intention of ever starting. Claims he has a huge pile of factory .303. I'm meeting him next week to pick up more brass on a trade.

I'm full-length sizing all of it. Once I fire it, I'll only neck size it. About every fourth or fifth round of loading and firing, I anneal it. I'm getting some real good life out of the brass.

If you use the Lee die, letting it dry before sizing eliminates the dents, no matter how much you use. I started doing this recently and the denting problem went away. I just lube a batch and then size them all instead of doing them one by one.

Very true, and another reason why I prefer the Lee "toothpaste" lube. I've tried 'em all including making my own and keep coming back to the Lee stuff.

:coffee:

WineMan
05-08-2009, 06:55 PM
I just got a batch of bulk but primed 30-06 from Grafs. Over a third of the necks were dented and the inside diameter was around 0.300" +/-.

All my dies are LEE, so taking out a decapping pin was out. I spied a 0.308 WIN collet die and a 5/8" nut and a carriage washer to get a spacer of 0.85" give or take. I should have used a touch of lube as getting the 0.300 neck over a 0.305 expander was tough.

The good news is that this lot of 100 was +/- 0.7 grains out of the bag! :-D

Grafs said they are all like that and all cases should be resized prior to loading. Ok but never having bought primed brass before I felt a little exposed messing around with live primers and I would have thought (duh never think) the cases would have been in better shape. Lesson learned.

Wineman

docone31
05-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Lee sizing lube/Case Lube, is good, I also use Crisco. I also tumble after sizing.
They come out pretty clean. It is a small matter to take a pin, and push out a random piece of Walnut.

captaint
05-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Enfield, You need to get you some Imperial Sizing Die Wax. It comes in a can like shoe polish and feels very similar. You just get some on your fingers and rub a little on the case. I haven't used the old case lube in 20 or so years. I also hated getting that stuff off the brass. Sinclair and I think Midway sell the Imperial. A little can will last you forever. Enjoy Mike

Echo
05-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Enfield, to give you a hint as to how much lube is needed - I use a 1-lb coffee can to lube my rifle cases. I put a small amount of Alemite CD-2 (they haven't made it for YEARS!, which tells you how little I use) inside and smear it around. Small amount = a blob about the size of a kidney bean. Fill the can half full of brass, put the lid on, and put on the rock polisher for 30 minutes. After tumbling they are all covered with a very light coating of lube, PLENTY for resizing.

Recluse
05-09-2009, 03:12 AM
All my dies are LEE, so taking out a decapping pin was out.

Actually, taking the decapping pin out of a Lee die is a simple process. Just loosen the top nut and the decapping pin will fall right out. It's a one-piece unit and the top nut works like a collet to squeeze the pin so that it will slide up with stubborn primers rather than snapping.

:coffee:

atr
05-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Enfield,,,,
don't feel alone...I had the same trouble denting the shoulders of my .308 cases and for the same reason ...too much lub !!....My cheap-o lub now consists of 3-in-one oil cut with WD40...and again a little goes a long way.

your cases should fire form ok even with the dented shoulder since the .303 headspaces on the rim. And I would not worry about the length you mentioned, being short is alot more forgiving then being too long.

Also, if you are using used brass bought from an unknown source,,,,be very careful inspecting these cases for splits at the neck ....and most especially case seperation at the base look for a slight ring forming 1/4" from the base...

RU shooter
05-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Another option from applying too much lube is using one of the spray on lubes.I use Hornady one shot I put about 50 rifle cases in a bigger size ziplock bag ,give it a long blast(about 3 sec.) of the spray into the bag seal it up and mix the the brass in the bag and shake and turn it a few times while I mix it open bag and set it down for about 10 minutes while the liquid part of the lube evaporates and then take right from the bag and resize, for me 50 at a time is less hassle and alot quicker,some dont like the one shot lube but I've never stuck a case with it.

Tim

ENFIELD303
05-09-2009, 03:08 PM
damn, you guys sure are helpful.

i assume (ASS out of U and ME) THAT TOO MUCH LUBE BULKS UP AN PUT TOO MUCH PRESSURE ON ONE OR MORE SPOTS CAUSING THE CASE TO INDENT? AM I RIGHT?

sorry about the caps

badgeredd
05-09-2009, 03:34 PM
problem two: i have a bunch of mixed brass from a bunch of other shooters from the net. now, my lyman says the safe minimum trim to length is 2.212 inch but some of the brass is sizing in as low as 2.208, how are these other shooters still alive firing these shorter cases?

The MAX OAL is 2.222 for the 303. It is normal to make the trimmed length .010" shorter than the maximum. Reality is that .004 shorter is nothing to worry about but .004" long (over maximum) is a lot to worry about. It COULD pinch the case neck and bullet enough to create a high pressure situation which can be disastrous if you are running near maxi mun in the first place. Some converted cartridges will be shot but have no bearing on the safety as long as the case isn't terrribly short. One popular conversion is to make 6.5 Jap from 35 Remington. It creates a case about .040" short that functions perfectly well. The only problem may be the crimping of the case into the bullet at a point back from what would be nomal with factory cases.

Hope this helps alleviate your fears of the slightly short cases.

Edd

Stoats
05-10-2009, 04:23 AM
[
...but .004" long (over maximum) is a lot to worry about

Not with .303 Brit it isn't! The chambers are...erm...generous

largom
05-10-2009, 08:10 AM

Stoney Point [Hornady] makes a chamber length gage which will tell you the max. length for the chamber in each gun. I have never found a chamber that was not longer than the maximum listed in loading manuals. I measure the chamber in each of my guns and record it in my log book. Trim my cases to .010 under My measurement, some chambers are so long the brass may never get trimmed.
Larry

badgeredd
05-10-2009, 09:15 AM

Not to be argumentative, but why do you think there is a maximum length established? Can you guarantee that EVERY rifle chambered for 303 has a long chamber? Please understand that I was providing an explanation that would be useful with all reloaded ammo and I did state what "COULD" happen with a too long case. When I build a rifle, I use reamers that are commercially available and experience has shown me that not all reamers are equal. Tolerances can greatly effect the finished chamber.

Just a bit more info.................

Edd

atr
05-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Enfield....yes thats correct..the thin film of lub will create a pressure point

MtGun44
05-10-2009, 01:35 PM
+1 on Imperial case lube. Very thin film.

If they are not brass that was fired in your one and only .303, like purchased once
fired or you have multiple Enfields, you should full length size and trim them all, then
if you keep them segragated by rifle you can use the collet die without lube and get
longer case life.

Bill

1Shirt
05-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Pretty much agree with recluse overall. However as far as case lube goes, I use a mixture of liq. Lanolin and alcohol in a spray bottle. Works as well as the Hornady spray lube, and is much cheaper to make.
1Shirt!:coffee:

ENFIELD303
05-10-2009, 08:47 PM
lightened up on the lube and wouldn't you know....... problem solved. thanks a bunch guys. now comence the...:Fire: