PDA

View Full Version : CB insights wanted.

Whit Spurzon
05-04-2009, 01:27 PM
This forum has been a great help getting me started casting, thanks to everyone who posts and has replied to my earlier questions.

The bullets I cast the most are from a LEE mold. The alloy I usually use is a 10/1 - 20/1 alloy. I use a Lee furnace.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/ee300.jpg

Lee 300 grain .452" bullet My Marlin and Rugers shoot these very well.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/lee255.jpg

Lee 255 grain RNFP, another bullet that shoots very well in my 45 Colt Firearms.

My question is, how do they look?

I've noticed that many of the bullets posted here look better and I'm wondering if I'm doing anything wrong (alloy? too hot? too cold?...). They shoot well, just not a perty as I'd like.

Slow Elk 45/70
05-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Hullo Whit, IMHO, I think your alloy has some crap in it, I see a lot of inclusions in some of the boolits. Me thinks you need to start with more heat and [stir thoroughly/ skim/flux] really well to mix the alloy and remove the crud.[smilie=1:

Preheat your molds and try to keep the temp as consistent as you can, get rhythm

:drinks:

jdgabbard
05-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Hullo Whit, IMHO, I think your alloy has some crap in it, I see a lot of inclusions in some of the boolits. Me thinks you need to start with more heat and [stir thoroughly/ skim/flux] really well to mix the alloy and remove the crud.[smilie=1:

Preheat your molds and try to keep the temp as consistent as you can, get rhythm

:drinks:

+100 You've got crap, and oxides in your alloy. Flux it. Try sawdust. Since I first used it I haven't looked back. Oh, Ivory soap is great too.

TREERAT
05-04-2009, 02:54 PM
what I want to know, since he said they shoot well, is there actually a problem if they look like this? will it cause more ware to the barrel or what? not trying to be smart, I really want to know!

44man
05-04-2009, 03:00 PM
I have to ask what velocity you shoot dead soft boolits at?
Tell us results and show targets. How about leading in the bore?
I think you would be better off adding half WW's to your mix.
I agree you have a lot of crap in your pot and if you are bottom pouring, most is in the bottom and in the spout.
Here is what you should get. Three boolits 20 to 1, two with WW metal and one with a harder alloy.
Clean out your pot and flux good.

BABore
05-04-2009, 03:05 PM
It almost looks like the mold has been heavily smoked or has mold release in it. All those dimples and pockets look very uniform.

Whit Spurzon
05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Thank you for the insights VERY helpful. I will try fluxing and see if that improves.

The 300 grain bullets get pushed from 650 fps (plain base with Red Dot) up to a little over 1500 fps with a gas check and Lil'Gun powder in my Marlin 1894CB. No leading issues. I lube with Lee Liquid Alox, two coats when GC'd.

The 255 grain I shoot the most. Usually over 4756 that gets 900+ fps in my Ruger New Vaquero and a little under 1200 fps in my Marlin 1894 CB. I use this load for Levergun Silhouette shoots.

Target pictures:
http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/ee300g2400load50yards.jpg
50 yards 300 grain
http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/nvthrtarget.jpg
15 yards on an off day. It'll do better and sometimes I can.
http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/50yardtargetresized.jpg
50 yard target, Ruger New Vaquero, sitting, elbows rested

1Shirt
05-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Whit, think your casting of blts is better than your photography of them is. That said, there are lots of words of wisdom here, but it is obvious from your results on paper that you are doing something right...
lGood Luck,
1Shirt!:coffee:

44man
05-04-2009, 04:31 PM
I have to agree. Hard to believe there is no leading, I can't get away with it in my revolvers but I might have to see what the Marlin will do.
How much Lil'gun do you use? I still have some. I don't like it but will try it.

Whit Spurzon
05-04-2009, 04:55 PM
When I've gotten leading it was with hard commercial bullets. I think it was the lube, might have been slightly undersized too. Lead would build up and would come out in chunks.

With these bullets I've not had that same experience. Cleaning goes fast and if there is leading, I'm not seeing it. Bore looks shiny and lands look sharp.

I'm using 19 grains (RUGER ONLY level - always double check data) of Lil'gun. Gets a shade over 1500 fps in the Marlin. The accuracy was OK. The best accuracy has been 2400 and IMR 4227 with velocities in the 1300-1400 fps range. I had heard many good reviews of Lil'Gun but except for velocity, it didn't impress me much. Below this level it is sooty and accuracy short of the accuracy I expect this rifle can do - of course, with me behind the trigger, it ain't all that scientific.

The fastest I've ever pushed that bullet was with SR4759. It read nearly 200 fps faster than the manual said it was supposed to. Felt like a little 45-70. I didn't use the powder again after that.

44man
05-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Lil'gun is VERY hot burning in the .357 so I never tried it in another gun. 12 shots and the Freedom was a soldering iron! :-?

Cherokee
05-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Whit - whatever you are doing does not appear to be hurting accuracy. The bullets do appear to have some trash in them so better fluxing will help that. I shoot lots of bullets that don't look perfectly cast and usually can't tell the difference. The base is the most important.

runfiverun
05-04-2009, 09:45 PM
flux a tad more. keep a heat barrier on top of your melt with tin/lead alloy you get a lot of oxides. [kitty litter is good for this]
looks like you are walking the line on your heat though. almost grey, not quite.