PDA

View Full Version : Converting Ruger Mark III Target into single shot?

Naphtali
05-04-2009, 12:09 PM
I want to be able to single load my Mark III Target pistol by removing its magazine, inserting one round into its chamber, releasing the bolt, then aiming and firing.

Presently, I cannot do this because trigger-sear mechanism is disconnected when magazine is removed.

1. Can ONLY the magazine disconnect mechanism be disabled?

2. If it can, is this something I can do?

3. If it can and I cannot do it, please recommend a gunsmith who can do it.

dpaultx
05-04-2009, 12:50 PM
If you're capable of disassembling the weapon, then you can remove the magazine disconnector and its spring, thereby disabling the mechanism.

It's a pretty simple procedure and here's even an illustrated "HOW TO:"

Remove the Magazine Disconnector: Ruger Mk III (http://scromp.net/ruger/Site/HOWTO.html)

If you're not capable of doing this yourself, you "might" have a slight problem finding a "real" gunsmith who would do it for you.

By disabling the disconnector mechanism, you are defeating one of the several built-in safety features of the weapon. This is something that judges, juries, and trial lawyers seem to take a dim view of and which many professional gunsmiths will have no part of.

HTH . . . Doug

Naphtali
05-07-2009, 01:00 AM
I thank you for your assistance. Until this afternoon I was unaware that Ruger offered (no longer offers) a replacement hammer bushing that allows deletion of the magazine disconnector. After its installation, to achieve my desired result, all I'll need to do is chamber a cartridge from the magazine, then release the magazine. One round fired with no harm to the extractor and no automatic reload.

DLCTEX
05-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Why not just load one round in the mag at a time if you are going to do it that way?

Shiloh
05-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Thats why I'm a big fan of the MK II series.

I thought it was a bummer when Ruger added the extra bells and whistle safety features.
If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Shiloh

Cadillo
10-06-2009, 03:15 PM
I thank you for your assistance. Until this afternoon I was unaware that Ruger offered (no longer offers) a replacement hammer bushing that allows deletion of the magazine disconnector. After its installation, to achieve my desired result, all I'll need to do is chamber a cartridge from the magazine, then release the magazine. One round fired with no harm to the extractor and no automatic reload.

I have bought the bushings form both Brownells and Jim Clark. The bushing from Clark is more expensive and requires some minor fitting, but works good with the Mark III Hammer and makes for a better trigger job. I also recommend a VQ sear and trigger.

Naphtali
10-06-2009, 03:46 PM
I have bought the bushings form both Brownells and Jim Clark. The bushing from Clark is more expensive and requires some minor fitting, but works good with the Mark III Hammer and makes for a better trigger job. I also recommend a VQ sear and trigger.I bought two new (one back-up??) Mark II bushings. A simple parts swap and the Mark III is a Mark II with loaded chamber indicator. I'm satisfied.

257 Shooter
10-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Doug, Thanks for the link to the drawing. I really despise magazine disconnectors!

scrapcan
10-06-2009, 05:37 PM
always be careful when allowing bolt to close on a chambered round in the ruger rimfire pistol or any other for that matter I suppose.

I would not point it anywhere where a discharge is a problem when closing the bolt on a chambered round. My MarkI likes to send one down range sometimes when releasing bolt off of the safety hold open onto a chambered live round. No burs found on chamber, bolt, firing pin, etc...

looseprojectile
10-22-2009, 06:43 PM
than my Mk1 upper on a Mk 2 lower. Can't you load a round in the locked open gun and drop the bolt and fire with an empty mag. in the gun? Why don't you want an empty mag. in the gun? Is there a reason you don't want the bolt to lock back? Will a Mk3 not allow you to do this. This could be why I prefer the older guns. What am I missing?

Life is good

OutHuntn84
10-22-2009, 07:04 PM
fill mag + chamber round + pull trigger once = single shot ... right ... lol ;) j/k

Why would be the reason for doing such a modidcation?