PDA

View Full Version : wadcutters in .45 Colt/Puma

corvette8n
05-04-2009, 10:38 AM
I'd like to try some wadcutters in my Puma 92/.45 Colt. Any suggestions for a mold?, do you think I could get them to feed ok?

Calamity Jake
05-04-2009, 12:42 PM
You may have problems with feeding, they may hang up on the chamber mouth, some Puma's don't like SWC much less WC.

I would suggest seeing if a member here would donate some to find out. I don't have a 45WC mold so can't help.

slughammer
05-05-2009, 07:31 PM
You could load some dummy rounds with the boolits backwards to check the feeding question.

wonderwolf
05-05-2009, 10:10 PM
I remember not too long ago Mike V had a article on his possible "all around molds" and the one he selected for .45 looked like it was in the SWC class. A full WC I'm unsure if it would work. My winchester 94 has to have them seated at a specific length in order for them to cycle but its not worth the trouble (.44mag) the Keith SWC works just as well. I have a 452389 that is kinda like a wad cutter with half a round ball stuck on top. Dunno if it would work for what your trying to do but its a good boolit.

helice
05-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Corvette8n
SlugHammer has the right idea. Turn over what ever you have and see if it works. I've got an LSI Puma in Stainless that's a 45Colt. The wc wouldn't work for me. There are a lot of great moulds out there that cast a big meplat. You might want to look into Veral Smith's LBT WFN. These slugs hit pretty hard and dig pretty deep. If you're just looking for a light load any flat point will do. Keep writin', I'm learnin'. Helice

Freightman
05-06-2009, 07:17 PM
I'd like to try some wadcutters in my Puma 92/.45 Colt. Any suggestions for a mold?, do you think I could get them to feed ok?

I went and loaded a 230gr RN backward to see if it would, it feeds fine and I tried it 10 straight times with a dummie round.
now the question is, Why? is there something that a WC will do that a wide meplate 300gr boolit will not do?

kooz
05-06-2009, 09:37 PM
I have a couple 92s in .45, one Rossi and one Winchester, neither will feed Keith bullets unless they are seated over the front driving band and even then they dont feed so well. However the LEE 300gr GCFP works great in both as well as their 250gr FP. I think that in the 92s it is just as much an overall length issue as it is a SWC/WC feeding issue.