PDA

View Full Version : Would you guys bother with doing a double alloy for a 425 gr RD bullet?

Ole
05-03-2009, 11:34 PM
1) That meplat looks pretty impressive/wide.
2) I'm not sure making a dual alloy/soft nose bullet would be worth the trouble.

I made some dual alloy bullets last night, just goofing around. I used 160 grains of pure lead (Lee 2R-155 bullet), and that seemed to just about go to the base of the nose. The bullet looked pretty bad, but functional. A thumbnail test verified that the nose was definitely softer than the base.

Eventually, i'd be looking to get 1500-1700 fps out of it. I might go a little more, depending on how much practice I get with the rifle over the summer. (I flinch from time to time with this rifle) 1800-1900 is about max for this bullet out of my .450 Marlin guide gun.

Has anyone used/had experience with making soft nose/hard base dual-alloy bullets with this mold design?

Thanks for any tips/insight.

Matt

jhalcott
05-03-2009, 11:58 PM
I haven't used THAT mold but have played with a 420 grain NEI in .458 dia and a few smaller caliber ones also. I think a good candidate for soft nosing is a round nose or pointy bullet. Those types SEEM to act like fmj's and drive thru with out leaving any evidence (except for a small hole) of their passage. A soft nose will flatten or peel off, leaving a large FLAT meplat to do lots of damage in the animal. The real beauty of 2 alloy boolits is you only need a few for hunting .You can practice with the single alloy ones from the same mold. bruceB's method makes some what prettier bullets than the 2 pot and small dipper method . Although both work well for me. I am a bit lazy, so I tend to go with the small dipper!

runfiverun
05-04-2009, 01:38 PM
a good flat and 2 holes with diameter is plenty.

stubshaft
05-05-2009, 12:47 AM
A .458+ going "coast to coast" thru an animal is big medicine.

mroliver77
05-11-2009, 03:50 PM
What are you planning on killing with it? The huge meplat on rd boolits is sufficient tissue disruption in my book! I shot a white tail; with my RB in 45-70 with a Lee 325 RF boolt Small meplat, traveling approx 130-0fps. Big hole through animal and it was deAD IN 10 seconds.
As stubshaft says "Big Medicine"
Jay

superior
05-14-2009, 01:20 AM
In a word....no.

missionary5155
05-15-2009, 03:55 AM
Good morning
As was asked ... what-cha gunna be slaying ?
LLamas do not take much ... a 300 grainer is more than adequete. Now a 4 meter + crock needs a good solid thump ( 400 + grains ) to penetrate that neck armor on a near straight down shot standing in the bow of a dugout canoe. But from the lower side angleing up (when they raise thier heads up for good sniff) any rifle round will get to the spine. Viscacha would fall to any boolit over 100 grains which is about Round ball weight.
The wild burrows ( make great barbrque) need only a 300 grainer and if you get real close a round ball. But if ya come across a free running BIG black Bull (big as a buffalo) you best have a 450 + grainer in your pocket as this critter is gunna take a whole lot of killing.
So that would cover the desert area around Arequipa, Peru.
Mike... now in Illinois