PDA

View Full Version : reload 7.62x54r ?????

bingo
05-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Does anybody reload steel case berden primed?
have 1 rifle so any cases I save will be fireformed. Planing on neck sizing only. Was hoping to drill out primers on drill press.
Main question is new primers. Does one use undersize and glue or redrill and prime whit my rcbs bench primer?

Sure would like to cast some bollitts for my nagant. I would rather buy american powder,primers,and ww than buy more surplus. Plus the more time I spend in the garage making bollits the better I get alomg with my wife

My wife thanks you in advance for any help.

Bingo

willyboy
05-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Get some 7.62x54R Winchester Metric,you'll be much happier,and save the steel cased for blasting,or stashing away.

beemer
05-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Grafs sells Prvi brass. I have never worked with Berdan primers but was told that they were larger than Boxer primers. Some people have converted brass cases but steel would not be worth it, especially if brass was avaliable.

higgins
05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
What you're considering is way too much trouble to go through for questionable at best results. Glue primers in place? I wouldn't want to deal with that level of leakage. There's no reason to buy high priced brass. The Prvi brass that Graf sells is every bit as good as run-of-the-mill Win, Rem, or Fed brass. I have used it in 6.5X55 with very good results and case life as long as you properly adjust the resizing die, which is true regardless the brass you're using.

TAWILDCATT
05-04-2009, 02:00 PM
dont waste your time.Graf has all the military brass.
I am converting one of the few cases that can be converted.only because the alternative is worse.dont try to save a few pennys as its your life your playing with.:coffee:[smilie=1:

Nora
05-05-2009, 09:35 PM
I load and shoot a LOT of 54R. IMHO trying to reload anything that is burdan primed is a waste of time. Others have mentioned Graf's and I couldn't agree more. The Prvi brass that I've bought from them has been of excellent quality.

1Shirt
05-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Go with GRAF- period. Reasonable price, decent service and timely. Forget the steel cases, they will only cause you greef! 1Shirt!:coffee: