PDA

View Full Version : Kroil

shotman
05-03-2009, 10:30 PM
As some of you know I like Kroil on molds. Well I found another good use. The comp on a S&W . They are a pain to clean. I soaked the comp for 3 hours and most all the melted lead brushed out. rick

Leadforbrains
05-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Kroil is good stuff. I always run a couple of patches down the barrel after cleaning, because it makes the next cleaning so much easier.

mtgrs737
05-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Kroil, the oil that creeps. Gets in under lead, copper fouling etc and helps to lift it out. Kroil has been an industry standard for many years, it works good in freeing rusted parts. You have to give it time to work though.

Wally
05-04-2009, 10:15 AM
I cannot find Kroil locally so I use any pentrating oil (PO) that is available--they all seem to work quite well. Rather tha use Hoppe's I saturate the bore with PO and let it sit a few days. With a tight fitting patch & a jag tip, you cn remove leading/fouling quite nicely. For stubboirn fouling, repeat the process. Another "trick" that works is to plug the barrel and fill with kerosne. Let it sit for a few days, dump it out and clean with a tight fitting patch. Using PO is easier as you don't have to keep the gun elevated for days to contain the kerosene.

shdwlkr
05-04-2009, 12:26 PM
I use kroil for lots of things and so much so that I bought a gallon of it that should last me for several years. I have found nothing that works as good and I have used wd40 to work on rusted or hard to loosen stuff and kroil works better hands down.
I also have a gallon of Lees bullet lube. I got them both for a fair price and in that area I am set for years.
Now to get primers, bullets, brass, powder and all the other stuff I need so I can sit back and watch the fun of trying to find them now and hopefully easier in the future.

shdwlkr
05-04-2009, 12:26 PM
I use kroil for lots of things and so much so that I bought a gallon of it that should last me for several years. I have found nothing that works as good and I have used wd40 to work on rusted or hard to loosen stuff and kroil works better hands down.
I also have a gallon of Lees bullet lube. I got them both for a fair price and in that area I am set for years.
Now to get primers, bullets, brass, powder and all the other stuff I need so I can sit back and watch the fun of trying to find them now and hopefully easier in the future.

Throwback
05-04-2009, 07:40 PM
+1 on all the comments. Works well with JB Bore Paste on tougher jobs. Use a little with stainless steel wool to remove rust scale and crud from old guns without damaging the remaining finish. You can get it online from Brownell's and Midway to name just a couple of outfits.

mainiac
05-05-2009, 06:10 PM

An outfit came to the mill i work at,for a turbine overhaul, and bought with them a 5 gallon can of kroil. They used 1-2 gallons of it,and left the rest behind,when they left. Take a guess who ended up with over 3 gallons of this stuff???? Should last me a while!!!!

shdwlkr
05-05-2009, 06:41 PM
mainiac
I would have loved to have that much and the price wasn't bad either. Mine cost a lot more then that but I am still glad that I have it.

Down South
05-05-2009, 10:09 PM
They were running a special on their web site a week or so ago. A free can with the order of a couple more. I made an order and got my three cans.

shdwlkr
05-06-2009, 09:34 AM
want to feel really good go see what you would pay for a gallon at the price you got those three cans for and then go price a gallon saves you a looooooooooooooooooooooooot of money buying a gallon

Don McDowell
05-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Kroil works pretty good. Do have to be cautious it doesn't accumalate any where it might have a chance to contaminate primers tho.
But if you really think you have all the lead out, just put a patch wet with pure gum turpentine on a jag and run it thru. You'll know in short order if you're gun is as clean as you think it is or not.

cajun shooter
05-07-2009, 08:53 AM
I 've used Kroil for years, since taking my first year of machinist training in 1963. It's a true wonder all. I tell people all the time that you don't have to scrub hard if you have leading, just wet a patch and run it down the bore to sit for a while. It will do the job for you. Keep cans of Kroil in easy to reach places.

uncle joe
05-07-2009, 09:00 AM
An outfit came to the mill i work at,for a turbine overhaul, and bought with them a 5 gallon can of kroil. They used 1-2 gallons of it,and left the rest behind,when they left. Take a guess who ended up with over 3 gallons of this stuff???? Should last me a while!!!!

+1
I am working with a crew overhauling a turbine right now. Kroil is the staple they use it for everything. Cleaning bolts, loosening stuck bolts, also great for honing surfaces. They have all of us sold on it. Great STUFF

05-07-2009, 09:40 AM
+1
Just purchased a very rusted Lee Loader and spent some time with #1500 wet paper and Kroil and got it back in good order. Wonderful stuff. Typically when I'm done at the range, I wet the bores while they are still warm and pack 'em away. When I get the chance to do a formal cleaning, it all goes much easier.